Decorate your party room
to look like a pirate's ship.
Because captain and crew go down with their ship, hang and lay plastic or cardboard skeletons around the room. Decorate a few skeletons with deflated inflatable life rings, pirate eye patches, and scarves. Drip fake pearls and costume jewelry from the skeletons' hands. Hang sea netting (found at party supply stores) on the walls, and hang starfish or a snagged pirate from it. A skull and crossbones flag will add more pirate-y charm.
inexpensive Mardi Gras and pearl beads and mix them with gold-wrapped
chocolate coins. Scatter them across the serving table for pirate
booty. A treasure chest is a great centerpiece. Find one at a Halloween
or craft store, or create your own by papering a shoe box with brown
construction paper; make the "hinge" with silver or black tape. Fill it
with old costume jewelry and trinkets, and leave it open. Or, for
giggles, "lock" it with a big buckle from an old belt but hide a spooky
surprise inside, such as a skull. Curious kids will love the gag.
Lay seashells around the rooms. To complete the ambience, play a nature CD of the sea: lapping oceans waves or storm sounds work well, but haunting whale calls will hook captains craving the creepiest sounds.
When kids arrive at the door, blindfold each and invite them to step into the deep by walking the plank, which is a board set on the floor at the entry to the party. Will they take the plunge?
For a completely different Halloween scene, try a haunted garden decor that includes creepy creatures like bugs, spiders, and even man-eating plants. We'll tell you everything you need to create your own ghoulish garden on the next page.
Want to scare up more fun Halloween ideas? Try these:
- Halloween Crafts: Not done being creative? These are great do-it-yourself projects for Halloween, from trick-or-treat boxes to candy jewelry.
- Kids' Halloween Costumes: Try on our unique costume ideas for your ghosts and goblins.
- Halloween Masks: Want an easy way to dress up for Halloween? Try a mask instead of a costume. Check out our selection of monstrous masks.
- Halloween Games: Play more than 20 spooktacular games to entertain kids and adults alike.
- Halloween Recipes: Learn how to make dozens of bewitching Halloween treats.
- How Halloween Works: Traces the popular holiday’s Celtic roots to American traditions celebrated today.
- Pumpkin Carving Patterns: What's Halloween without pumpkin carving? Check out these great pumpkin carving patterns.