Witch's Brew of Surprises
This whimsical Halloween decoration holds trick-or-treat candy for all the cute critters who visit this October.
Brew up some fun with this
one-of-a-kind treat container.
- 1-gallon licorice container
- Black spray paint for plastic
- 1/6 yard Halloween-print fabric
- Fabric glue
- Large quilting needle
- Purple embroidery floss
- Craft glue
- Craft foam: orange, purple, black
- 2 empty toilet paper rolls
- Black-and-white polka-dot ribbon, 1/8 inch wide
- Scallop-edge scissors
- 6 silver square mini brads
- Wash and dry container.
In a well-ventilated area, spray lid and container inside and out with black
paint. Let dry 20 minutes. Spray again to cover completely. Let dry overnight.
fabric, tear a 53/4-inch strip. Glue short ends together with fabric glue,
matching right sides, to create a 1/4-inch seam. Let dry.
quilting needle and embroidery floss, make a running stitch 1/4 inch below
fabric over lid handle. Gather fabric around knob. Tie ends of floss, and trim
floss ends. Tuck edges of gathered fabric to inside so cut edge is against knob
and doesn't show. Use craft glue to adhere fabric to knob; let dry.
Tuck the edges of the fabric against the knob, covering it completely.
- Cut four
11/2 x 53/8-inch strips of purple craft foam. Cut two 13/8 x 53/8-inch strips of
orange craft foam. Cut out 2 boots from black foam using this pattern.
purple, then orange, then purple craft foam strips to a paper roll using craft
glue; trim strips if needed. Be sure to line up seams. Repeat for second roll.
Glue the ribbon along the seam of the craft foam.
length of paper roll. Cut 2 ribbons to this length; glue a ribbon to each roll
lengthwise along craft foam seams.
scallop-edge scissors to trim 1 end of each roll. To each boot (cut out in step
5), add 3 brads where indicated on pattern. Fold rolls in half, with
ribbon-covered seam in middle of back. Glue a boot inside scalloped edge of
each roll. Hold roll until glue sets. These are the legs.
Position the legs onto the fabric as shown.
- At other end of rolls, cut 1/2-inch slits about every 1/2 inch. With seam of fabric placed in middle back of lid, decide where legs will be placed. Glue fabric to lid at these spots using craft glue. Glue tabs of legs over glued fabric.
For a gruesome Halloween decoration, how about some heads on a platter? Read on to get the full instructions for this frightful feast for the eyes.
Want to scare up more fun Halloween ideas? Try these:
- Halloween Crafts: Not done being creative? These are great do-it-yourself projects for Halloween, from trick-or-treat boxes to candy jewelry.
- Kids' Halloween Costumes: Try on our unique costume ideas for your ghosts and goblins.
- Halloween Masks: Want an easy way to dress up for Halloween? Try a mask instead of a costume. Check out our selection of monstrous masks.
- Halloween Games: Play more than 20 spooktacular games to entertain kids and adults alike.
- Halloween Recipes: Learn how to make dozens of bewitching Halloween treats.
- How Halloween Works: Traces the popular holiday’s Celtic roots to American traditions celebrated today.
- Pumpkin Carving Patterns: What's Halloween without pumpkin carving? Check out these great pumpkin carving patterns.