Hats Off to Wizards Centerpiece
A mystical wizard's hat sets the tone
for your Halloween celebration.
What You'll Need
- 26 inches purple felt (from bolt)
- Measuring tape
- Hot glue gun, glue sticks
- 10-inch-diameter cardboard circle
- 151/2-inch tall foam cone, 16-inch base
glue: iridescent purple, gold
- 20 yellow wood stars, 1 inch each
- 3 yellow wood stars, 2 inches each
- Small plastic snakes
- 1 yard black maribou
- 32 inches gold ribbon, 3/8 inch wide
- 11/2 yards sheer gold ribbon, 11/2 inches wide
- Cut a 10-inch square from felt; glue felt to cardboard circle for brim. Trim.
Cut a piece of felt tall enough and wide enough to fit cone. Wrap and glue felt
to cone, trimming top and bottom of felt if necessary.
Wrap and glue the felt to the cone.
- With iridescent purple glitter glue, paint circles on hat and brim. Let dry.
Outline circles with gold glitter glue. Glue cone to middle of brim.
Outline the purple circles you painted with the gold glitter glue.
- Paint 1 side of all stars with gold glitter glue; let dry. Glue small stars and
small snakes around hat and brim (leave bottom 4 inches of cone free of snakes
- Glue maribou around outside edge of brim. Cut 3/8-inch ribbon in half, and tie
pieces together in middle (ends don't have to be even). Glue ribbon knot to top
of hat. Cut ribbon ends on a diagonal.
Glue the star to the tip of the wizard's hat.
- Glue a 2-inch
star to top front of hat. Wrap sheer gold ribbon loosely 3 times around base,
and make a loose knot in front. Glue a large star to each ribbon end, and wind
ribbon ends around hat once more, bringing stars to front. Your wizard's hat is now ready to adorn your Halloween table!
You can transform a chalkboard into a ghastly glowing Halloween decoration for your wall. Find out how to make this striking project on the next page.
Want to scare up more fun Halloween ideas? Try these:
- Halloween Crafts: Not done being creative? These are great do-it-yourself projects for Halloween, from trick-or-treat boxes to candy jewelry.
- Kids' Halloween Costumes: Try on our unique costume ideas for your ghosts and goblins.
- Halloween Masks: Want an easy way to dress up for Halloween? Try a mask instead of a costume. Check out our selection of monstrous masks.
- Halloween Games: Play more than 20 spooktacular games to entertain kids and adults alike.
- Halloween Recipes: Learn how to make dozens of bewitching Halloween treats.
- How Halloween Works: Traces the popular holiday’s Celtic roots to American traditions celebrated today.
- Pumpkin Carving Patterns: What's Halloween without pumpkin carving? Check out these great pumpkin carving patterns.