Fun and festive, this Halloween wreath adds seasonal spirit to any door.
- Tracing paper
- Cold-press watercolor paper, 300#
- Craft knife
- Acrylic paint: snow white, dove gray, shading flesh, buttermilk, pumpkin, ebony black, mint julep, red iron oxide, cadmium yellow, light avocado
- Paintbrushes: #2 flat, 3/8-inch angle, 10/0 liner
- Acrylic matte-finish spray
- Grapevine wreath, medium size
- 3 yards ribbon, 3/4-inch wide
- 24 inches ribbon, 1/8-inch wide
- Download the PDF of our Halloween wreath decoration pattern and transfer it to the watercolor paper. Use scissors to cut out the basic shape, then clean cut the corners and cut holes for ties with craft knife.
- Use flat brush to base-coat the sign with snow white paint. Base-coat the cat with dove gray and the cat nose with shading flesh. Base-coat background under cat with buttermilk. Base-coat pumpkin with pumpkin paint and base-coat pumpkin eyes and mouth with ebony black. Base-coat pumpkin stem and leaves with mint julep. Allow to dry. Apply detail to pattern.
Paint the larger areas of color first. You'll add details next.
- Contour pumpkin ridges by "floating" with red iron oxide. Float the dimensions of the pumpkin face with cadmium yellow. Float the stem and leaves with light avocado. Float the contours of the cat with ebony black and line the features with ebony black.
Carefully create fur on this Halloween kitty
using black paint and careful brushing.
- Use liner brush to line pumpkin with ebony black. Paint "HAPPY HALLOWEEN" with ebony black and add dots. Paint vine with light avocado. Allow to dry. Spray with acrylic matte-finish spray.
Finish the lettering and details with the tiniest of brushes.
- Wrap 3/4-inch-wide ribbon around wreath and tie in a decorative bow. Thread a 1/8x24-inch piece of ribbon through tie holes in the ornament so that the free ends are at the back. Tie the ornament to the wreath.
How about another way to combine spooky Halloween spirit with lovely fall home decor? On the next page you'll learn to create a floral jack-o'-lantern.
Want to scare up more fun Halloween ideas? Try these:
- Halloween Crafts: Not done being creative? These are great do-it-yourself projects for Halloween, from trick-or-treat boxes to candy jewelry.
- Kids' Halloween Costumes: Try on our unique costume ideas for your ghosts and goblins.
- Halloween Masks: Want an easy way to dress up for Halloween? Try a mask instead of a costume. Check out our selection of monstrous masks.
- Halloween Games: Play more than 20 spooktacular games to entertain kids and adults alike.
- Halloween Recipes: Learn how to make dozens of bewitching Halloween treats.
- How Halloween Works: Traces the popular holiday’s Celtic roots to American traditions celebrated today.
- Pumpkin Carving Patterns: What's Halloween without pumpkin carving? Check out these great pumpkin carving patterns.