Author's Note: How Drag Queens Work
As someone who has attended her fair share of drag revues, getting to research and write about drag's history and culture was a particularly fun prospect. I was surprised to quickly find out that there hasn't been much mainstream coverage or scholarly research into drag. Cross-dressing in Elizabethan theater often is mentioned as an historical touchstone, which then leaves a centuries-wide gap between it and modern-day drag. When you take a closer look at that intervening time, what's interesting is that men dressing up as women didn't become a countercultural phenomenon until it became associated with homosexuality. As a result, the social response to male cross-dressing for entertainment can also be interpreted as an extension of the broader acceptance or rejection of more fluid models of gender and sexual orientation.
That said, a drag queen probably wouldn't be interested in broaching that level of discourse; she has a routine to nail and a crowd to charm.
- American Experience. "Stonewall Uprising." PBS. (Oct. 31, 2012.) http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/features/transcript/stonewall-transcript/
- Barker, Dennis. "Danny La Rue." The Guardian. June 01, 2009. (Oct. 31, 2012) http://www.guardian.co.uk/stage/2009/jun/01/danny-la-rue-obituary
- The British Players. "About Pantomine." (Oct. 31, 2012) http://www.britishplayers.org/aboutpantomime.html
- Eltinge, Julian. "How I Portray a Woman on the Stage." Theater Magazine. 1913. (Oct. 31, 2012) http://www30.us.archive.org/stream/theatremagazine18newyuoft/theatremagazine18newyuoft_djvu.txt
- Etkin, Jaimie. "RuPaul's Drag Race Dictionary." The Daily Beast. April 24, 2011. (Oct. 31, 2012) http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2011/04/24/rupauls-drag-race-slang-tuck-sickening-and-more-drag-terms.html
- Fernandez, Maria Elena. "RuPaul Picks Favorite All-Star Drag Race Looks." The Daily Beast. Oct. 19, 2012. (Oct. 31, 2012) http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/10/19/rupaul-picks-favorite-all-star-drag-race-looks.html
- Fuss, Eloise. "Outback drag queens create wave of acceptance." ABC. June 25, 2012. (Oct. 31, 2012) http://www.abc.net.au/local/photos/2012/06/22/3531568.htm
- Gewertz, Ken. "When men were men (and women, too)." Harvard Gazette. July 17, 2003. (Oct. 31, 2012) http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2003/07.17/18-crossdressing.html
- Gilman, Michael. "Biography for the Lady Bunny." IMDB. (Oct. 31, 2012) http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1338532/bio
- Imperial Court System. "Founder of the International Court System." (Oct. 31, 2012) http://www.impcourt.org/icis/who/founder.html
- The Julian Eltinge Project. "Biography." (Oct. 31, 2012) http://www.thejulianeltingeproject.com/bio.html
- Landis, Kevin. "Julian Eltinge's Manly Transformation." The Gay & Lesbian Review." Vol. 14. Issue 05. (Oct. 31, 2012) http://www.glreview.com/article.php?articleid=26
- Lawson, Mark. "Dame Edna Everage: farewell possums." The Guardian. March 19, 2012. (Oct. 31, 2012) http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2012/mar/19/dame-edna-everage-farewell-possums
- Logo TV. "Makeup (What a Drag)." (Oct. 31, 2012) http://www.logotv.com/video/misc/330986/makeup-what-a-drag.jhtml#id=1602435
- Logo TV. "How to Tuck." (Oct. 31, 2012) http://www.logotv.com/video/misc/332017/how-to-tuck-bonus-video-from-rupauls-drag-race.jhtml#series=2317&id=1608420
- Morinaga, Maki Isaka. "The Gender of Onnagata at the Imitating Imitated: Its Historicity, Performativity, and Involvement in the Circulation of Femininity." Positions: East Asia Cultures. Vol. 10. No. 02. Fall 2002. (Oct. 31, 2012) http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/positions/toc/pos10.2.html
- Newton, Esther. "Mother Camp: Female Impersonators in America." University of Chicago Press. May 15, 1979. (Oct. 31, 2012) http://books.google.com/books/about/Mother_Camp.html?id=wtBI3fTtZzsC
- Out.com Editors. "Who You Calling a Tranny?" Out. Nov. 14, 2010. (Oct. 31, 2012) http://www.out.com/entertainment/2010/11/14/trouble-tranny-0
- Petrucelli, Alan W. "Garland? Streisand? Peggy Lee? Jim Bailey's career drags on. But don't call him a drag queen!" Examiner. Sept. 06, 2009. (Oct. 31, 2012) http://www.examiner.com/article/garland-streisand-peggy-lee-jim-bailey-s-career-drags-on-but-don-t-call-him-a-drag-queen
- Slide, Anthony. "The Encyclopedia of Vaudeville." University Press of Mississippi. 2010. (Oct. 31, 2012) http://books.google.com/books?id=Hu3nNSmRjZ0C&pg=PA455&dq=bert+savoy+mae+west&hl=en&sa=X&ei=aNqPUI30N46L0QHX5ICoCg&ved=0CDIQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=bert%20savoy%20mae%20west&f=false
- Stransky, Tanner. "Kings of Queens." Entertainment Weekly. Dec. 15, 2006.
- Taylor, Veronica and Rupp, Leila J. "When the Girls Are Men: Negotiating Gender and Sexual Dynamics in a Study of Drag Queens." Signs: Journal of Women in Culture and Society. Vol. 30. No. 04. 2005.
- Torr, Diane and Bottoms, Stephen. "Sex, Drag, and Male Roles: Investigating Gender as Performance." The University of Michigan Press. 2010. (Oct. 31, 2012) http://www.press.umich.edu/pdf/9780472071029-intro.pdf
- Trebay, Guy. "Legends of the Ball." The Village Voice. Jan. 11, 2000. (Oct. 31, 2012) http://www.villagevoice.com/2000-01-11/news/legends-of-the-ball/
- Valdespino, Anne. "A Cross-Dressed Counterrevolution." Los Angeles Times. July 24, 2002. (Oct. 31, 2012) http://articles.latimes.com/2002/jul/24/entertainment/et-valdespino24
- Valenzuela, Morgan. "Chicago's Prohibition-Era 'Pansy Craze'." Chicago History Museum. Sept. 30, 2011. (Oct. 31, 2012) http://blog.chicagohistory.org/index.php/2011/09/chicagos-prohibition-era-pansy-craze/