Lots More Information
Author's Note: Does 'Obamacare' require Americans to be implanted with microchips?
Well, isn't this a tricky topic to talk about: The future of health care in America, and specifically what the new Affordable Care Act (or Obamacare, if you prefer) means for us all. This was a bill that was so misunderstood when it was first drafted, and things didn't improve when it became law in March 2012. Some of the myths and misunderstandings come from wording that was cut from earlier drafts of bills that never made it to law. Hopefully, what I confirmed by reading through pages of legislative writing should have you covered on that whole microchip mandate myth next time you find yourself in a conversation with someone confused by the wording.
More Great Links
- Coghlin Companies Inc. "Class I Medical Devices and Class II Medical Devices." (Nov. 12, 2012) http://www.coghlincompanies.com/Cogmedix/cogmedix_class_I_class_II.php
- Gross, Thomas P.; and Jay Corwley. "Unique Device Identification in the Service of Public Health." The New England Journal of Medicine. Vol. 367. Pages 1583-1585. 2012. (Nov. 12, 2012) http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp1113608#t=article
- H.R. 3200. "America's Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009." (Nov. 12, 2012) http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-111hr3200ih/pdf/BILLS-111hr3200ih.pdf
- National Conference of State Legislatures. "Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP)." 2010. (Nov. 12, 2012) http://www.ncsl.org/issues-research/health/childrens-health-insurance-program-overview.aspx
- National Medical Device Registry. "What is UDI?" (Nov. 12, 2012) http://nationalmedicaldeviceregistry.org/what-is-udi/
- Prahlow, Joseph A. "Implanted Medical Devices Encountered at Autopsy." Medscape. 2012. (Nov. 12, 2012) http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1681045-overview#showall
- Public Law 111-148--Mar. 23, 2010. "The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act." (Nov. 12, 2012) http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/PLAW-111publ148/pdf/PLAW-111publ148.pdf
- Sethi, Manish K.; Jahangir, Alex A.; and William T. Obremskey. "The Affordable Care Act and Medical Devices: What you need to know as an Orthopaedic Surgeon." American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons - AAOS Now. Vol. 6, no. 11. 2012. (Nov. 12, 2012) http://www.aaos.org/news/aaosnow/feb11/advocacy2.asp
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration. "Medical Devices: FDA Breast Implant Consumer Handbook -- 2004 -- Timeline of Breast Implant Activities." 2009. (Nov. 12, 2012) http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/ProductsandMedicalProcedures/ImplantsandProsthetics/BreastImplants/ucm064242.htm
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration. "Medical Devices: Learn if a Medical Device Has Been Cleared by FDA for Marketing." 2009. (Nov. 12, 2012) http://www.fda.gov/medicaldevices/resourcesforyou/consumers/ucm142523.htm