Lots More Information
HowStuffWorks looks at the many hurdles a third-party presidential candidate faces in the U.S., and why it's harder than ever for them to be elected.
Author's Note: 5 Great Presidential Debate Moments
The 1988 election was the first election I can remember as a semi-politically conscious tween. And that exchange between Lloyd Bentsen and Dan Quayle was my first introduction to the brilliant embarrassment of the live presidential debate. Live TV is brutal. These poor guys and gals have nowhere to hide. I make fun of Rick Perry's inability to remember the names of the three federal agencies he'd destroy as president, but if I was standing behind a lectern on national TV with Jim Lehrer staring at me with his spooky black eyes, I'd be hard-pressed to remember the names of my children. Then again, no one forced these people to become political candidates, and most of them -- even the losers -- will go on to become rich and famous. So I take it all back. Bring the pain!
- Berke, Richard L.; Sack, Kevin. The New York Times. "The 2000 Campaign: The Debates; In Debate 2, Microscope Focuses on Gore." October 11, 2000 (June 18, 2012) http://www.nytimes.com/2000/10/11/us/the-2000-campaign-the-debates-in-debate-2-microscope-focuses-on-gore.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm
- Cunningham, Sean. Esquire. "Biggest Blunders in Debate History." October 9, 2008 (June 18, 2012) http://www.esquire.com/the-side/feature/presidential-debate-mistakes-100808#ixzz1xnSi3dX6
- Jamieson, Kathleen Hall. Packaging the Presidency: A History and Criticism of Presidential Campaign Advertising. Oxford University Press, 1996. (June 18m 2012) http://books.google.com/books?id=e4E-cStBa0AC&printsec=frontcover&dq=packaging+the+presidency&hl=en&src=bmrr&ei=OzHaT4_LFojO9QTpz_HqBQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=book-thumbnail&resnum=1&ved=0CDoQ6wEwAA#v=onepage&q=packaging%20the%20presidency&f=false
- Miller Center. University of Virginia. "Debate With President Gerald Ford and Jimmy Carter (Foreign and Defense Issues). October 6, 1976 (June 17, 2012) http://millercenter.org/president/speeches/detail/5538
- Minow, Newton N.; LaMay, Craig L. Inside the Presidential Debates: Their Improbable Past and Promising Future. "Introduction." University of Chicago Press, 2008. (June 17, 2012) http://press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/530413_intro.html
- NBC News. NBC Learn K-12. "'I paid for this microphone ': The Reagan v. Bush Debate Controversy." February 23, 1980 (June 18, 2012) http://archives.nbclearn.com/portal/site/k-12/flatview?cuecard=4511
- University of Chicago Press. "Memorable Moments from Presidential Debates" (June 18, 2012) http://press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/530413.html