Small but mighty. Anyone can be an elephant with this easy, no-sew costume.
Perhaps you've had to say no to owning an elephant, but what about becoming one for a day? Kids love animals, and they love to pretend, so once you've made this easy, no-sew elephant kids' Halloween costume, stand back and see where imagination takes them. This costume also works great for a whole herd, as they can link trunks and stay together. Just look out for peanut allergies.
What You'll Need
- Gray sweatpants and sweatshirt
- Additional size 16 gray sweatshirt
- Adult baseball cap
- Fabric adhesive
- Poster board
- Hot glue gun, glue sticks
- Two wooden balls, 3/4-inch diameter each
- Acrylic paint: black, white, red
- Paintbrushes: 1/4-inch flat, fabric bristle
- Wash and dry all sweats; do not use fabric softener. Cut a 13x20-inch piece of fleece from bodice of the size 16 sweatshirt. Glue to top of cap, gluing fleece edges underneath edges of cap. Add wrinkles for texture.
- Cut off a sleeve from the size 16 sweatshirt. Fold cut edge under, and glue sleeve over brim of cap for trunk.
- On poster board, draw two large elephant ears and cut them out. (Make a 11/2-inch long tab on narrow ends for inserting into cap.) Trace four ears on the size 16 sweatshirt. Cut them out. Glue fleece to front and back of each poster-board ear.
- Make a 11/2-inch slit on each side of the cap, 1 inch up from the bottom edge. Poke ear tabs into the slits, and hot glue tabs on the inside of the cap.
- Paint wooden balls black, and add a white dot for a highlight on each. Hot glue balls to the top of the cap for eyes.
- With bristle brush, lightly paint cheeks, ear centers, and the end of the trunk red. Glue a peanut to the end of the trunk, and glue other peanuts to shirt and pants. Now send the elephant out to collect other tasty Halloween treats.
Ready for more fun in the animal kingdom? And wouldn't it be fun to fly? On the next page you'll learn to transform your kid into a feathered friend.
To learn more about fun and easy Halloween activities, see:
- Halloween Crafts: Whether hosting a spooky party or looking to keep little goblins entertained, visit this site for easy arts and crafts directions.
- Halloween Decorations: Bring Halloween holiday spirit to any location when you create these fun and festive decorations.
- Halloween Masks: For a quick, fun costume and a disguise, follow these tips for creating your own Halloween masks.
- Halloween Games: There's more to Halloween than eating candy! Get your party guests moving with these ghoulish games.
- Halloween Recipes: Spooky treats that are good to eat... find out how to concoct delicious delights here.
- How Halloween Works: Discover the history and traditions behind trick-or-treating and more. Check out this site to learn what Halloween is all about.