Author's note: Why are New Year's resolutions so easy to break?
I fall into the category of people who don't make New Year's resolutions. I know you might be wondering what's wrong with me. Why or why not, who's to say, but I can't remember a time when I considered New Year's resolutions to be for me. But just because I don't make it a habit of pledging to change my habits at the beginning of each year, it doesn't mean I'm not interested in self improvement -- and in regard to that, isn't it refreshing to learn that it's not realistic to expect you can break a habit in less than a month?
More Great Links
- American Psychological Association. "Making your New Year's resolution stick." (Nov. 27, 2012) http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/resolution.aspx
- Burkeman, Oliver. "This column will change your life: How long does it really take to change a habit?" The Guardian. 2009. (Nov. 27, 2012) http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/oct/10/change-your-life-habit-28-day-rule
- FranklinCovey. "FranklinCovey Survey Reveals Top 3 New Year's Resolutions for 2008." 2007. (Nov. 27, 2012) http://www.reuters.com/article/2007/12/18/idUS132935+18-Dec-2007+BW20071218
- FranklinCovey. "New Year's Resolutions -- For 2013." 2012. (Nov. 27, 2012) http://www.slideshare.net/FCOPslideshare/2013-new-years-resolutions-results-from-franklinplanner
- LeTrent, Sarah. "The psychology of resolutions." CNN Living. 2012. (Nov. 27, 2012) http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/03/living/resolution-psychology/index.html
- Tierney, John. "Do You Suffer From Decision Fatigue?" New York Times. Aug. 17, 2011. (Dec. 7, 2012) http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/21/magazine/do-you-suffer-from-decision-fatigue.html
- Time -- Lists. "Top 10 Commonly Broken New Year's Resolutions." (Nov. 27, 2012) http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/completelist/0,29569,2040218,00.html
- Williams, Ray B. "Why New Year's Resolutions Fail." Psychology Today. 2010. (Nov. 27, 2012) http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/wired-success/201012/why-new-years-resolutions-fail