Lots More Information
Author's Note: How Stoicism Works
I've spent a lot of my career interviewing professional athletes, many of whom sound positively Stoic — capital S — when claiming they don't care about things they can't control. Coaches' decisions. Fans' wrath. The bounce of the ball. Injuries. Still, it's often just a line; they do care. They want acceptance. Validation. Adoration. Admiration. There, I think, is the ultimate challenge of Stoicism. It's easy to say that you won't let the world get to you, that a greater good lies beyond the mess of everyday living. But that mess, let's not forget, makes us human.
More Great Links
- Benario, Herbert W. "Marcus Aurelius." De Imperatoribus Romanis: An Online Encyclopedia of Roman Emperors. (May 21, 2017) http://roman-emperors.sites.luc.edu/marcaur.htm#N_23_
- College of Stoic Philosophers. "Stoic Quotes Poster." (May 22, 2017) http://collegeofstoicphilosophers.org/show_book/PDF/StoicQuotesPoster01
- Daily Stoic. "Who Is Zeno? An Introduction to the Founder of Stoicism." (May 26, 2017) https://dailystoic.com/zeno/
- Epictetus. The Enchiridion. From The Internet Classics Archive. Massachusetts Institute of Technology. (May 20, 2017) http://classics.mit.edu/Epictetus/epicench.html
- Fisher, Chris. "What is Traditional Stoicism?" Traditional Stoicism. Nov. 28, 2015. (May 24, 2017) http://www.traditionalstoicism.com/2015/11/28/what-is-traditional-stoicism/
- Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy: A Peer-Reviewed Academic Resource "Stoicism." (May 25, 2017) http://www.iep.utm.edu/stoicism/
- Marcus Aurelius. The Meditations. From The Internet Classics Archive. Massachusetts Institute of Technology. (May 20, 2017) http://classics.mit.edu/Antoninus/meditations.12.twelve.html
- Mastin, Luke. "Stoicism." The Basics of Philosophy. (May 21, 2017) http://www.philosophybasics.com/branch_stoicism.html
- Modern Stoicism. "Stoicon in Toronto — October 2017." (May 25, 2017) http://modernstoicism.com/more-information-about-stoicon-2017/
- Pigliuci, Massimo. "How to Be a Stoic: Using Ancient Philosophy to Live a Modern Life." Basic Books. May 9, 2017.
- Pigliuci, Massimo. "Stoicism 101." How to Be a Stoic. (May 24, 2017) https://howtobeastoic.wordpress.com/stoicism-101/ Robertson, Donald. "Stoicism and the Art of Happiness." Teach Yourself. May 21, 2013.
- Robertson, Donald. "Stoicism and the Art of Happiness." Teach Yourself. May 21, 2013.
- Sedley, David. "Stoicism." Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy. From Online Guide to Ethics and Moral Philosophy, Carnegie Mellon University. http://caae.phil.cmu.edu/cavalier/80130/part1/sect2/texts/R_Stoicism.html
- Zaleski, Philip and Zaleski, Carol. "Prayer: A History." Houghton Mifflin Co. 2005. (May 22, 2017) https://books.google.com/books?id=6DHvMpwEzMIC&printsec=frontcover&dq=isbn:9780618152889&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi6uJeD_o3UAhXHVyYKHfkUDCAQ6wEIJzAA#v=onepage&q=serenity&f=false
- Epictetus. "Discourses." From "The World's Greatest Books, Vol. 13." (May 22, 2017)