Lots More Information
The U.S. presidential election is around the corner and the country is in the throws of a global health crisis. Is voting by mail the way to go this year?
Author's Note: 5 Most Effective Campaign Ads
Americans are more media savvy than ever. We know which newspapers, magazines and cable news channels share our particular political views and we are loyal to them. We distrust information that doesn't come from our self-approved sources and are quick to accuse the other side of bending the facts in their Machiavellian schemes. But what really amazes me is that even with all of the headlines about Super PACs and the influence of big money on elections, we're still so easily influenced by political attack ads. Why do negative accusations stick so easily to our brains? And how can we prevent ourselves from becoming pawns in a cynical marketing game? Watching these ads from the past 60 years of American politics didn't give me much hope that anything is going to change in the future.
- Alexovich, Ariel. The New York Times. "Obama Supporters Sing, 'Yes We Can.'" February 4, 2008 (May 31, 2012.) http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/02/04/obama-supporters-sing-yes-we-can/
- Delo, Cotton. AdAge. "Super PACs Could Drive Total 2012 Election Spending to $9.8B." March 7, 2012 (May 31, 2012.) http://adage.com/article/campaign-trail/total-2012-election-spending-hit-9-8b/233155/
- Elliott, Stuart. The New York Times. "Hal Riney, Adman for Reagan and G.M., Dies at 75." March 26, 2008 (May 31, 2012.) http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/26/business/media/26riney.html
- Schwartz, David. Museum of the Moving Image. "Never Had It So Good" http://www.livingroomcandidate.org/commercials/1952 (May 31, 2012.)
- Schwartz, David. Museum of the Moving Image. "Prouder, Stronger, Better" http://www.livingroomcandidate.org/commercials/1984 (May 31, 2012.)
- Schwartz, David. Museum of the Moving Image. "Revolving Door" http://www.livingroomcandidate.org/commercials/1988 (May 31, 2012.)
- TIME. Top 10 Campaign Ads. "Daisy Girl" (May 31, 2012.) http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1842516_1842514_1842649,00.html#ixzz1voVAhVM1
- TIME. Top 10 Campaign Ads. "Morning in America" (May 31, 2012.) http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1842516_1842514_1842575,00.html#ixzz1vogavRjI
- Toner, Robin. The New York Times. "Prison Furloughs in Massachussetts Threaten Dukakis Record on Crime." July 5, 1988 (May 31, 2012.) http://www.nytimes.com/1988/07/05/us/prison-furloughs-in-massachusetts-threaten-dukakis-record-on-crime.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm
- Will.I.Am. "Why I Recorded Yes We Can." Huffington Post. February 3, 2008. (June 1, 2012.) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/william/why-i-recorded-yes-we-can_b_84655.html
- Wisconsin Public Television. The :30 Second Candidate. "Historical Timeline: 1964" (May 31, 2012.) http://www.pbs.org/30secondcandidate/timeline/years/1964.html
- Wisconsin Public Television. The :30 Second Candidate. "From Idea to Ad" (May 31, 2012.) http://www.pbs.org/30secondcandidate/from_idea_to_ad/research2.html