- Use a large spoon to remove the pulp, stringy fibers and raw seeds from the pumpkin.
- Separate the seeds from the pulp and them place in a colander.
- Wash and remove any remaining pulp from the seeds.
- Transfer the seeds to a paper towel-lined plate and let them dry out as much as possible.
- After the seeds are dry, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (177 degrees Celsius).
- Place the dry seeds in a bowl and toss in olive oil, salt and black pepper.
- Spread the seasoned seeds out in an even layer on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Roast the seeds for 12 to 15 minutes, tossing them every few minutes to ensure even browning.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately.
Flavor variations: For "Deviled Pumpkin Seeds" toss the seeds in 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce and 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon chili pepper. For "Sugar and Spice Pumpkin Seeds" toss the seeds in 1 tablespoon sugar, 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon and 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice. For "Cheesy Seeds" toss the seeds in 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese and 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning.
Originally Published: May 21, 2007