Consoling grieving friends and family is important in the Muslim community and doesn't have many rigid rules governing how to comfort those in mourning. It's traditional to reach out to the mourning family with sympathy and with food for three days after the funeral.
Like in many other cultures, offering help and condolences to the mourning family is considered an essential part of dealing with death. It's also common to bring food to the mourning family after a Muslim funeral, so that they won't have to worry about details like cooking as they cope with the loss of a loved one.
For more articles on traditions around the world, check out the links below.
- Aisha, Bilal Abu. "Funeral Rites and Regulations in Islam." Mission Islam. (July 28, 2011) http://www.missionislam.com/knowledge/funeral.htm
- Husseini Islamic Center. "Islamic Etiquette of consoling the bereaved." March 15, 2007. (Aug. 3, 2011) http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:voW8q5qztS8J:www.orlandocenter.org/downloads/media/presentations/ConsolingTheBereaved.pps+consoling+a+grieving+muslim&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESiIda48fFKQ0mcqC8Ry62EBkOHWHHhpeRlnv6A-04hTbjmBLVEmFO8v-E1qcInk8l06iuJrBCvrtwZE9PcwG-GDWP1PMPplQoE-jy0zNf0FF1-i_ZJ1Mzus0jVllHP8HsgAsnsL&sig=AHIEtbSXPmGxdIHqUCA0etO-hglPGal0BA
- Internet Broadcasting. "What Are Islamic Burial Traditions?" Click On Detroit. May 2, 2011. (July 28, 2011) http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/27744484/detail.html
- Malaysian Department of Islamic Development. "A Guideline of Performing Ibadahat the International Space Station (ISS)." Malaysian National Space Agency. (Aug. 3, 2011) http://makkah.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/a_guideline_ibadah_at_iss.pdf
- Me, Myself, and I. "A glossary of Muslim terms." (July 28, 2011) http://www.mmiweb.org.uk/publications/glossary/glossaries/islamglos2.html
- The Muslim Association of Hawai'i. "Muslim Funeral Guide." (July 28, 2011) www.iio.org/janazah/bur_1299.pdf
- Siala, Mohamed Ebrahim. "Authentic Step by Step Illustrated Janazah Guide." Rahma Funeral Home. (July 28, 2011) http://ifsnt.com/Authentic%20Step%20by%20Step%20Illustrated%20Janazah%20Guide.html
High heels were originally worn by men. HowStuffWorks takes a look at the history of the high-heeled shoe.