The sad truth is that many communal bathrooms have fewer sinks than toilets. That means that users should at least be vaguely aware that there are probably other folks trying to get to the basin and wash their hands. Except, that is, the ones who don't wash their hands or just simply run water over them in the blink of an eye. We know who you are, and we do not approve of your methods.
It's OK – I guess – if you want to hit the restroom after lunch to brush your teeth and floss, fix your hair or reapply makeup. Just don't hog up the space so others can't wash their hands or get to the paper towel dispenser. Move over if you have to. Remember, in communal bathroom settings, we're all in this together.
Author's Note: 10 Restroom Etiquette Rules People Are Constantly Breaking
The Jesus and Mary Chain is one of those '80s British alternative bands whose brand of soaring melancholy is so darn catchy and mopey at the same time that it's perfect for the movies. Film fans may remember the band's best-known song – "Just Like Honey" – as the audio backdrop to the climax scene in "Lost in Translation," the 2003 Sophia Coppola flick about loneliness, relationships and Japanese karaoke. What listeners might not pick up the first time around, however, is the song's lyrics. Singer Jim Reid pledges his love to some unidentified person by telling his special someone "I'll be your plastic toilet." At least that's the way I always heard it. Then I looked up the lyrics. It's "plastic toy."
More Great Links
- Ahlberg, Amy. "All your bathroom etiquette questions answered!" Reader's Digest. (March 22, 2015) http://www.rd.com/slideshows/all-your-bathroom-etiquette-questions-answered
- Fennessy, Christine. "The WH Bathroom Etiquette Guide." Women's Health. (March 22, 2015) http://www.womenshealthmag.com/life/bathroom-etiquette
- Hindenach, Jeff. "6 Bathroom Etiquette Tips for the Office." MediaBuzz (March 22, 2015) http://mediabuzz.monster.com/benefits/articles/1631-6-bathroom-etiquette-tips-for-the-office
- International Center for Bathroom Etiquette. "Seat Up, Seat Down." (March 22, 2015) http://www.icbe.org/seat-up-seat-down/
- Murphy, Ryan. "How to: Practice Toilet Etiquette." Ask Men. (March 22, 2015) http://www.askmen.com/fine_living/how_to_400/461b_how-to-practice-toilet-etiquette.html
- Ryan, Maxwell. "How To: Hang Your Toilet Paper Correctly?" Apartment Therapy. Jan. 30, 2012 (March 22, 2015) http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/how-to-hang-your-toilet-paper-correctly-165219
- Schulz, Nick. "The Crappiest Invention of All Time." Slate. March 7, 2006 (March 22, 2015) http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/gizmos/2006/03/the_crappiest_invention_of_all_time.html
- Seinfeld Scripts. "The Bookstore." (March 22, 2015) http://www.seinfeldscripts.com/TheBookstore.htm
- Wang, Jacqueline Burt. "Use Your Words." Parents Magazine. (March 22, 2015) http://www.parents.com/toddlers-preschoolers/development/social/use-your-words/
- Zupek, Rachel. "Restroom etiquette for the office." CNN. (March 22, 2015) http://www.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/worklife/09/14/cb.bathroom.office.etiquette/index.html?iref=nextin
Some people get anxious about opening a gift in front of the giver in case they don't like it. HowStuffWorks looks at gift-giving etiquette.