Lots More InformationAuthor's Note: Are there really people who think rules just don't apply to them?
I will admit that after researching psychopathy and antisocial personality disorder, you begin to diagnose every man, woman and child with it. In my case, it was my brother's dog that -- in a rush to get outside -- launched a full-scale attack on my parents' border collie, patiently waiting for the door to open. What could cause such an outsize reaction to a little irritation? A psychopath boxer who -- I can only presume -- just didn't think the rules applied.Related Articles
- Is Batman a sociopath?
- 10 of History's Most Torrid Love Affairs
- 10 Career-Ending Affairs
- Do men and women cheat for different reasons?
- Do criminal psychopaths enjoy other people's fear or just not notice it?
- American Psychiatric Association. "DSM IV and 5." DSM5.org. 2012. (Dec. 27, 2012) http://www.dsm5.org/Documents/Personality%20Disorders/DSM-IV%20and%20DSM-5%20Criteria%20for%20the%20Personality%20Disorders%205-1-12.pdf
- Archer, Dale. "Why do so many powerful people think the rules don't apply to them?" FoxNews.com. May 19, 2011. (Dec. 27, 2012) http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2011/05/19/powerful-people-think-rules-dont-apply/
- DeFife, Jared. "DSM-V offers new criteria for personality disorders." Psychology Today. Feb. 10, 2010. (Jan. 9, 2013) http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-shrink-tank/201002/dsm-v-offers-new-criteria-personality-disorders
- Friedman, Emily. "Politicians' Biggest Battle: Themselves." ABCNews.com. Aug. 12, 2008. (Dec. 27, 2012) http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=5559032&page=1#.UN0ye4njkcx
- Kahn, Jennifer. "Can you call a 9-year-old a psychopath?" The New York Times. May 11, 2011. (Dec. 27, 2012) http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/13/magazine/can-you-call-a-9-year-old-a-psychopath.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all
- Kaufman, Scott Barry. "Do narcissists know they're narcissists?" Psychology Today. March 25, 2011. (Jan. 9, 2013) http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/beautiful-minds/201103/do-narcissists-know-they-are-narcissists
- Lilienfeld, Scott O. and Arkowitz, Hal. "What 'Psychopath' Means." Scientific American. Nov. 28, 2007. (Dec. 27, 2012) http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=what-psychopath-means
- Mayo Clinic. "Antisocial Personality Disorder." Mayo Clinic. Oct. 8, 2010. (Dec. 27, 2012) http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/antisocial-personality-disorder/DS00829
- Mayo Clinic. "Narcissistic Personality Disorder." Mayo Clinic. Nov. 4, 2011. (Dec. 27, 2012) http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/narcissistic-personality-disorder/DS00652
- Samenow, Stanton. "Narcissistic Personality Disorder and the Antisocial Personality Disorder -- A Lot in Common." Psychology Today. July 15, 2011. (Dec. 27, 2012) http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/inside-the-criminal-mind/201107/narcissistic-personality-disorder-and-the-antisocial-personalit