Author's Note: How has the Internet changed rules of etiquette?
The Internet is an example of how learning doesn't just flow from older generations to younger. I resisted texting. I'm a writer, after all, and words are important to me. But I could only hold out so long, because a relationship with my nephews was more important. I quickly realized that if I were going to communicate with them, I had to text. My parents still struggle with that realization. We've taught them to text. They've sent test texts, but it's still not a reliable way to communicate with them. Now the older generation is trying to teach the younger one the joys of picking up the phone. I'm not sure who will crack first.
More Great Links
- Bilton, Nick. "Disruptions: Digital Era Redefining Etiquette." The New York Times. March 10, 2013. (April 4, 2015) http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/03/10/etiquette-redefined-in-the-digital-age/?_r=0
- Coombs, Katie Dilillo. "Basic Etiquette: RSVPs, Texting And Internet Civility." Reno Gazette-Journal. Feb. 27, 2015. (April 4, 2015) http://www.rgj.com/story/opinion/columnists/2015/02/27/basic-etiquette-rsvps-texting-internet-civility/24146891/
- Emily Post. "Text Messaging Tips." 2015. (April 4, 2015) http://www.emilypost.com/communication-and-technology/telephone-and-cell-phone-manners/727-text-messaging
- Frederickson, Barbara L. "Your Phone vs. Your Heart." The New York Times. March 23, 2013. (April 4, 2015) http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/24/opinion/sunday/your-phone-vs-your-heart.html
- Goodman, Cindy Krischer. "The Rules of Business Etiquette Have Changed: How to Avoid a Blunder." Miami Herald. Nov. 20, 2013. (April 4, 2015) http://miamiherald.typepad.com/worklifebalancingact/2013/11/the-rules-of-business-etiquette-have-changed-how-to-avoid-a-blunder.html
- Jerpi, Laura. "Tech Etiquette Rules -- Using Good Manners With Your Devices." South Source. 2015. (April 4, 2015) http://source.southuniversity.edu/tech-etiquette-rules-using-good-manners-with-your-devices-132068.aspx
- Rieland, Randy. "How Digital Devices Change the Rules of Etiquette." Smithsonian. March 25, 2013. (April 4, 2015) http://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/how-digital-devices-change-the-rules-of-etiquette-8115457/?no-ist
- Rutgers. "The Real Value Meal ... Eating Together." 2015. (April 5, 2015) https://njaes.rutgers.edu/spotlight/eating-together.asp