Author's Note: How Internships Work
While getting my master's degree at the University of California Berkeley's Graduate School of Journalism, I completed an unconventional, non-newsroom internship at HelloGiggles. During my summer working for the website, I wrote an article about body image and fat shaming that remains the most "viral" of articles I've ever produced: At last count, it had 300,000 page views, 24,000 Facebook likes, 500 Tweets and 135 comments. Sadly, the piece is no longer up on their site, and the analytics are lost forever, but you can read it here!"
More Great Links
- Alvarado, Elizabeth. "The 10 Best Websites for Internships." College Magazine. Jul. 13, 2017 (Sept. 20, 2017). https://www.collegemagazine.com/10-best-websites-finding-internship/#
- Boyington, Briana. "Understand the Differences Between a Co-op, Internship." U.S. News & World Reports. Mar. 31, 2015 (Sept. 20, 2017). https://www.usnews.com/education/best-colleges/articles/2015/03/31/understand-the-differences-between-a-co-op-internship
- Haire, Meaghan and Oloffson, Kristi. "A Brief History of Interns. Time. Jul. 30, 2009 (Sept. 20, 2017). http://content.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1913474,00.html
- Hopkins, Cassidy. "9 Stars Who Were Interns (and Where) Before They Made It Big." Hollywood Reporter. Sep. 25, 2015 (Sept. 20, 2017). http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/celebrites-who-were-interns-before-827266/item/oprah-winfrey-at-cbs-9-827290
- Howe, Neil. "The Unhappy Rise of The Millennial Intern." Forbes. Apr. 22, 2014 (Sept. 20, 2017). https://www.forbes.com/sites/realspin/2014/04/22/the-unhappy-rise-of-the-millennial-intern/#1a0f44a61328
- Nagele-Piazza, Lisa. "Employers: Is Your Unpaid Internship Program Legal?" May 1, 2017 (Oct. 11. 2017) https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandtools/legal-and-compliance/employment-law/pages/is-your-unpaid-internship-program-legal.aspx
- National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE). "The 2016 Internship & Co-op Survey Report." May 2016 (Sept. 20, 2017). http://www.naceweb.org/uploadedfiles/content/static-assets/downloads/executive-summary/2016-internship-co-op-survey-executive-summary.pdf
- Newman, Ricquel. ABC News Producer. Personal correspondence. Sept. 18, 2017.
- Perlin, Ross. Author. Personal correspondence. Sept. 8, 2017.
- Shapiro, Emilia Varshavsky. Personal correspondence. Sept. 18, 2017.
- Smith, Irena. College Admissions Consultant. Personal correspondence. Sept. 11, 2017.
- U.S. Department of Labor Wage and Hour Division. "Fact Sheet #71: Internship Programs Under The Fair Labor Standards Act." Apr. 2010 (Sept. 20, 2017). https://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs71.pdf
- Zara, Christopher. Are Unpaid Internships Still Legal? Here's Why The Law Is Fuzzier Than Ever. July 18, 2016. (Oct. 11, 2017) https://www.fastcompany.com/3061904/are-unpaid-internships-legal-yet-heres-why-the-law-is-fuzzier-than-ever