Lots More Information
Author's Note: Do TV shows and book deals encourage criminal behavior?
Sadly, we live in a world where bad behavior and poor choices are often rewarded, even lauded. The need for early intervention for people at risk of embracing crime is desperate and necessary. So, when will the system catch up with the undeniable truth?
More Great Links
- Brainz. "15 Films That Inspired Real Life Crimes." 2015 (April 8, 2015) http://brainz.org/15-films-inspired-real-life-crimes/
- Child, Ben. "Real-life Wolf of Wall Street says his life of debauchery 'even worse' than in film." The Guardian. Feb. 28, 2014 (April 8, 2015) http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/feb/28/wolf-of-wall-street-jordan-belfort-sex-drugs
- Child Trends Data Bank. "Teen Homicide, Suicide and Firearm Deaths." March, 2015 (April 13, 2015) http://www.childtrends.org/?indicators=teen-homicide-suicide-and-firearm-deaths
- Chivers, Tom. "Norway killings: does media coverage inspire copycats?" The Telegraph. July 28, 2011 (April 13, 2015). http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/tomchiversscience/100098853/norway-killings-does-media-coverage-cause-copycats/
- Farhi, Paul. "A murky question from Colorado: Does media coverage inspire copycats?" The Washington Post. July 23, 2012 (April 8,2015) http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/putting-a-face-on-evil/2012/07/23/gJQALXSK5W_story.html
- Mark Follman, Gavin Aronsen, and Deanna Pan. "A Guide to Mass Shootings in America." Mother Jones. May 24, 2014 (April 15, 2015) http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/07/mass-shootings-map|
- Hyman, Vicki. "'Real Housewives' sentencing: Do 'Son of Sam' laws apply to Joe and Teresa Giudice?" NJ Advance Media. Oct. 3, 2014 (April 8, 2015) http://www.nj.com/entertainment/celebrities/index.ssf/2014/10/joe_and_teresa_giudice_sentencing_son_of_sam.html
- Kiefer, Michael. "Jodi Arias sentenced to natural life in prison." The Arizona Republic. April 13, 2015 (April 14, 2015) http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/04/13/jodi-arias-sentencing/25691575/
- Lifetime. "Jodi Arias: Dirty Little Secret." 2015 (April 8, 2015) http://www.mylifetime.com/movies/jodi-arias-dirty-little-secret
- Plumer, Brad. "Graph of the day: Perhaps mass shootings aren't becoming more common." Dec. 17, 2012 (April 13, 2015) http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2012/12/17/graph-of-the-day-perhaps-mass-shootings-arent-becoming-more-common/
- Seifert, Kathryn Ph.D., psychologist and CEO of Eastern Shore Psychological Services, Maryland, Telephone interview. April 6, 2015.
- Taylor, Alicia B. and Sara Steedman. "The Evolution of Airline Security Since 9/11." International Foundation for Protection Officers. December 2003 (April 8, 2015) http://www.ifpo.org/resource-links/articles-and-reports/protection-of-specific-environments/the-evolution-of-airline-security-since-911/
- Tufecki, Zeynep. "The Media Needs to Stop Inspiring Copycat Murders. Here's How." The Atlantic. Dec. 19, 2012 (April 8, 2015) http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2012/12/the-media-needs-to-stop-inspiring-copycat-murders-heres-how/266439/
- Walsh, James; Erin Adler and Steve Brandt. "'Columbine effect': Alarm is rising over copycats." Star Tribune. May 3, 2014 (April 8, 2015) http://www.startribune.com/local/257817551.html