For better or worse, Nicole "Snookie" Polizzi is going global. She and the other stars of MTV's hit series, "Jersey Shore," are just beginning to test the international waters, which seem to be as inviting as the coast of The Garden State. MTV executives believe that the spray-tanned, party loving cast members will be big hits overseas.
Although Tuscany and Paris are a long way from Seaside Heights, MTV execs are pulling out all the stops to make sure the show -- featuring Pauly D, Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino, JWoWW and the others -- becomes a big international hit. One of the overseas print ads for the Shore goes something like this: "Muscle + gel + tanning bed = sex." There's also an international TV ad that shows a skinny man and a bikini-clad woman blowing up water toys that ultimately reveal hot bods and six-pack abs (read: The Situation) [source: Stetler].
"Jersey Shore," with its faux-Italian roots, has such a following that several production companies are creating various versions focusing on Americans of Israeli, Iranian and Korean heritage. As for MTV, it premiered the show in 2010 in more than 30 countries, and it's already No. 1 among 18- to 24-year-olds in Mexico and Colombia [source: Alston].
In case you haven't been watching, the "Jersey Shore" cast will spend part of the next season in Italy. In Venice, the cast was reportedly mobbed by young Italians shouting the show's catchphrases in broken English. The cast often uses such phrases as "gym, tan, laundry," and "grenade-free zone." Hundreds auditioned for roles as extras [source: Alston].
- 10 Longest Running TV Shows
- 10 Real-life Crimes That Became Fictional TV Episodes
- Top 10 Catchiest Commercial Jingles
- Top 5 TV Time-shifting Technologies
- Fact or Fiction: Streaming Your TV
- How do television ratings work?
- Who puts together a television network schedule?
- How do TV commercials influence American culture?
- How has time shifting changed how people watch TV?
More Great Links
- Adler, Tim. "'House' Set to be Most Popular U.S. TV Export to Europe for 2nd http://www.deadline.com/2010/01/house-set-to-be-most-popular-u-s-tv-export-to-europe-for-2nd-year-running/ Year Running." Jan. 22, 2010. (April, 2011).
- Alston, Joshua. "America's New Icons." Newsweek. July 22, 2010. (April, 2011). http://www.newsweek.com/2010/07/22/america-s-new-icons.html
- Betros, Chris. "Jack Bauer will always be having a bad day." Dec. 4, 2010. (April, 2011). http://www.japantoday.com/category/features/view/jack-bauer-will-always-be-having-a-bad-day
- Biography. "David Hasselhoff Biography." (April, 2010). http://www.biography.com/articles/David-Hasselhoff-15423924
- Blair, Gavin J. "'24' finale pulled in Tokyo." Reuters. April 1, 2011. (April, 2011). http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/04/01/us-idUSTRE7307IR20110401
- Chen, Christine Y. "Japanese 'Office' Culture." Foreign Policy. May 20, 2008. (April, 2011). http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2008/05/20/japanese_office_culture
- Cockcroft, Lucy. "'Oprah Winfrey Show' suffers ratings slump." The Telegraph. May, 27, 2008. (April, 2011). http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/2037083/Oprah-Winfrey-Show-suffers-ratings-slump.html
- Edgerton, Gary R. "The Columbia History of American Television." 2007. (April, 2011). http://books.google.com/books?id=28cMReggGGEC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false
- Encyclopedia Britannica. "The World's Most Popular TV Shows." November, 2009. (April, 2010). http://www.britannica.com/bps/additionalcontent/18/45578457/THE-WORLDS-MOST-POPULAR-TV-SHOWS
- Fung, Althea. "Clinton: Al-Jazerra is 'Real News'; U.S. Outlets Not Very Informative." The National Journal. March 4, 2011. (April 2011). http://nationaljournal.com/clinton-al-jazeera-is-real-news-u-s-outlets-not-very-informative-20110304?mrefid=site_search
- Harris, Scott. "'The Oprah Winfrey Show'" Fades in Ratings. AOL TV. June 29, 2010. (April, 2011). http://www.tvsquad.com/2010/06/29/oprah-winfrey-show-ratings-lowest-in-24-years/
- Havens, Timothy. "The biggest show in the world: race and global popularity of The Cosby Show." Indiana University. (April, 2011)
- Levy, Clifford J. "Still Married, With Children, But in Russian." The New York Times. Sept. 10, 2007. (April, 2011). http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/10/world/europe/10sitcom.html?_r=2
- London Daily Mail. "Wikileaks: Desperate Housewives does more to combat jihad than U.S. propaganda." Dec. 8, 2010. (April, 2011). http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1336778/Wikileaks-Desperate-Housewives-does-combat-jihad-US-propaganda.html
- Oprah.com. "'The Oprah Winfrey Show' Global Distribution List. March, 29, 2011. (April, 2011). http://www.oprah.com/pressroom/Global-Distribution-List-of-The-Oprah-Winfrey-Show
- Pfannier, Eric. "As U.S. is Reviled Abroad, American TV Charms." The New York Times. Oct. 16, 2006. (April, 2011). http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/16/business/media/16tv.html?_r=2
- Powers, Lindsay. "Kara DioGuardi Named Judge on 'Idol'-Inspired Show. Billboard. Oct. 26, 2010. (April, 2011). http://www.billboard.com/news/kara-dioguardi-named-judge-on-idol-inspired-1004124134.story#/news/kara-dioguardi-named-judge-on-idol-inspired-1004124134.story
- Roberts, Genevieve. "'The Office' hits top spot in U.S. download charts." The Independent. Jan. 4, 2006. (April, 2011). http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/the-office-hits-top-spot-in-us-download-charts-521569.html
- Stelter, Brian. "Betting the Situation Will Not Get Lost in Translation." The New York Times. March 23, 2010. (April, 2011). http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/23/business/media/23adco.html
- Sydell, Laura. "Chinese Fans Follow American TV Online-For Free." National Public Radio. July 24, 2008. (April, 2011). http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=91799790
- TV Acres. Creatures-Miscellaneous." (April, 2011). http://www.tvacres.com/creatures_fraggles.htm
- TV By the Numbers: "UK Ratings: Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl bounce back, ITV Wins With Champions League." April 1, 2011. (April, 2011). http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2010/04/01/uk-tv-ratings-desperate-housewives-and-gossip-girl-bounce-back-itv-wins-with-champions-league/47045
- TVNZ.com "'American Idol' ends Low." May 22, 2009. (April, 2011).http://tvnz.co.nz/entertainment-news/american-idol-ends-low-2753517
- Vietnews. "Is Vietnam Idol reaching for the moon? Jan. 21, 2011. (April, 2011).http://www.dztimes.net/post/life-style/16032-is-vietnam-idol-reaching-for-the-moon.aspx
- West, Dave. "'Housewives', 'CSI' win in Monte Carlo." Digital Spy. June 13, 2008. (April, 2011). http://www.digitalspy.com/british-tv/news/a99997/housewives-csi-win-in-monte-carlo.html
- World Wrestling and Entertainment. "Company Overview." (April 2011). http://corporate.wwe.com/company/overview.jsp
A savvy communications strategist created a media pyramid focusing on how people should consume their media. HowStuffWorks talked to him about it.