Penny and Leonard, "The Big Bang Theory"
Even more "Beauty and the Geek" than Rachel and Ross, Penny (Kaley Cuoco) and Leonard (Johnny Galecki) of The Big Bang Theory test the very limits of the old adage that opposites attract. It's not that we're opposed to the pretty girl falling for the geek, or the nerd being smitten by the beauty; it's just that we don't buy it with these two. We love the characters interactions as friends, but as a couple, we're not convinced that there's anywhere interesting for them to go.
Like Rachel and Ross before them, Penny and Leonard have been in a "will they or won't they" holding pattern for a season or so, with the main tension between the characters arising from their jealousy over one another's interest in other people. With three years remaining in the show's contract, another attempt at romance seems like a safe bet, but only time will tell whether this couple is more believable the next time around.
- 10 TV Shows That Have Gained a Global Audience
- 10 TV Moms We Secretly Want to Be
- 11 Longest Running Daytime Soap Operas
- How Writing a TV Show Works
- Everything I Need to Know About Parenting I Learned From TV
- How did the advent of television impact politics?
- How do TV commercials influence American culture?
- Has TV changed people's relationship expectations?
- Do courtroom dramas change people's understanding of the law?
- ABC.com. Grey's Anatomy Episode Guide. (April 10, 2011) http://abc.go.com/shows/greys-anatomy/episode-guide
- ABC News. "Downtown: The Real Mike Brady." Nov. 6, 2010.http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=132724&page=1
- Associated Press. "Luke, Laura wed again on 'General Hospital.'" Nov. 21, 2006. (April 9, 2011)http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/15690543/ns/today-entertainment/
- Bird, J.B. "Cheers." The Museum of Broadcast Communications. (April 8, 2011)http://www.museum.tv/eotvsection.php?entrycode=cheers
- CBS.com. The Big Bang Theory Episode Guide. (April 10, 2011)http://www.cbs.com/primetime/big_bang_theory/recaps/
- The Editors of Publications International, Ltd. "11 Longest-running Daytime Soap Operas." Sept. 15, 2007. (April 10, 2011)https://electronics.howstuffworks.com/11-longest-running-daytime-soap-operas.htm
- Griffin, Sean. "The Brady Bunch." The Museum of Broadcast Communications. (April 5, 2011)http://www.museum.tv/eotvsection.php?entrycode=bradybunch
- HBO.com. True Blood Episode Guide. (April 10, 2011)http://www.hbo.com/true-blood/index.html#/true-blood/episodes/index.html
- Lewis, Lisa Ann. "Happy Days." The Museum of Broadcast Communications. (April 5, 2011)http://www.museum.tv/eotvsection.php?entrycode=happydays
- Lillico, Neil B. "Television as Popular Culture: An attempt to influence North American Society? An Ideological analysis of Leave it to Beaver (1957-1961)." 1993. (April 8, 2011).http://www.leaveittobeaver.org/thesis/thesis_relationships.htm
- TV Guide. "Cheers Episode: Last Call and One for the Road." (April 8, 2011).http://www.tvguide.com/tvshows/cheers-1993/episode-25-season-11/road/100083
- TV Land. "Leave it to Beaver Episode Guide." (April 8, 2011)http://www.tvland.com/shows/leave-it-to-beaver/episode-guide
- Orlick, Peter. "Leave it to Beaver." The Museum of Broadcast Communications. (April 3, 2011)http://www.museum.tv/eotvsection.php?entrycode=leaveittob
- Pollak, Michael. "Barbara Billingsley, TV's June Cleaver, Dies at 94." New York Times. Oct. 17, 2010. April 8, 2011.http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/17/arts/television/17billingsley.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=barbara%20billingsley&st=cse
- West, Abby. "17 Great Soap Supercouples." Entertainment Weekly. Jan. 29, 2008. (April 12, 2011)http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20174499,00.html#20399158
- Wolf, Buck. "Luke and Laura: Still the Ultimate TV Wedding." Nov. 14, 2006. (April 9, 2011)http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/WolfFiles/story?id=236498&page=1
- YouTube. "Happy Days Fonzie Moves In Part 3."http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtF--xB4QIk&feature=related
Susan Bennett never knew she would become one of the world's most famous voices until Siri debuted on iPhones in 2011. HowStuffWorks tells her story.