If you're on a tight budget this year, you don't have to go all out to decorate Easter baskets. Put wrapping paper or tissue paper through your strip shredder for straw, and spend the money on candy instead. Need a container? Get creative. What kid ever ooh'd and aah'd over the design of his basket? We recommend a trip to your nearby dollar store. You can opt for a low-budget woven basket, or choose from any of a number of plastic containers instead. Once you add the colored straw, some ribbon and the candy, the container will look plenty cute. Best of all, you'll be able to use it as a bucket, wastepaper basket or storage bin after the holiday.
If you're having friends over, consider making up individual tokens for them, too. Nothing says spring like sharing. You don't need to get carried away. Even a few individual candies wrapped in sturdy pastel napkins and tied with ribbon will help to spread Easter cheer. If sugar is a no-no for some of your visitors, try giving them small herb plants instead. Herbs like mint, basil, tarragon and thyme are useful and smell amazing. If it's too early to find them at your garden center, try looking in the produce department of your market instead.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- Better Homes and Gardens. "How to Blow Out Eggs." Undated. 3/8/10.http://www.bhg.com/holidays/easter/eggs/how-to-blow-out-eggs/
- Better Homes and Gardens. "New Decorating Book." Meredith Corp. 2007.
- Better Homes and Gardens. "Polka Dot Eggs." Undated. 3/8/10.http://www.bhg.com/holidays/easter/eggs/polka-dot-easter-eggs/
- Family Fun Magazine. "Easter Egg Wreath. Undated. 3/8/10.http://familyfun.go.com/easter/easter-crafts/easter-egg-decorating/easter-egg-wreath-847635/
- Family Fun Magazine. "Easter Eggs: Bee Egg." Undated. 3/8/10.http://familyfun.go.com/easter/easter-crafts/easter-egg-decorating/easter-eggs-bee-egg-661806/
- MarthaStewart.com "Lace Eggs." Undated. 3/6/10.http://www.marthastewart.com/photogallery/easter-eggs
- MonkeySee. "Blowing Out Easter Eggs: Making it Hollow." Undated. 3/8/10.http://www.monkeysee.com/play/13337-blowing-out-easter-eggs-making-it-hollow
- The Home Depot. "Decorating 1-2-3." Homer TLC, Inc. 2000.
- Walton, Stewart and Sally. "The Complete Home Decorator." Anness Publishing. 1997
The July 14 holiday celebrated by the French is way more complicated than the term 'Bastille Day' might suggest. HowStuffWorks explains.