Lots More Information
Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade is one of the largest and most popular parades in the United States. Find out how this parade keeps marching on.
Author's Note: 10 Historical Untruths About the First Thanksgiving
Assuming that the version taught is free of any of the historical mistruths that we just spent about 3,000 words debunking, the story of Thanksgiving is a valuable history lesson for those lil' Pilgrims and Indians who may not be ready to sit at the adult table just yet. But it is the celebration of the holiday that probably provides more valuable life lessons. Learning to survive a several hour ordeal, from Uncle Johnny's whiskey-fueled mysticism to Aunt June's toothless indigestion, not to mention an annual rendition of Grandpa Milt's World War II stories, is a skill that can be carried into the classroom, on the field of play and eventually as a member of the board of a Fortune 500 company.
- American Indian College Fund. " The Story of Tisquantum (Squanto)." (Nov. 6, 2012) http://www.collegefund.org/content/the_story_of_tisquantum_squanto
- Armstrong, Elizabeth. "The First Thanksgiving." The Christian Science Monitor. Nov. 27, 2002 (Nov. 6, 2012) http://www.csmonitor.com/2002/1127/p13s02-lign.html
- Gambino, Megan. "Ask an Expert: What was on the Menu at the First Thanksgiving?" Smithsonian.com. Nov. 11, 2011 (Nov. 6, 2012) http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/Ask-an-Expert-What-was-on-the-menu-at-the-first-Thanksgiving.htm?
- Government of the Republic of Liberia. "Vice President Boakai Joins Catholic Community in Bomi to Celebrate Thanksgiving Day." Nov. 5, 2010 (Nov. 6, 2012) http://www.emansion.gov.lr/press.php?news_id=1709&related=
- Heinsohn, Robert Jennings. "Pilgrim Clothing." Sail 1620. (Nov. 6, 2012). http://www.sail1620.org/history/articles/106-pilgrim-clothing.html
- History.com. "Mayflower Myths." (Nov. 6, 2012). http://www.history.com/topics/mayflower-myths
- Hui, Ling. "Thanksgiving Facts: 10 Things You Didn't Know About 'Turkey Day.'" Toronto Sun. Oct. 5, 2012 (Nov. 6, 2012).
- Kingston, Mike. "The First Thanksgiving?" Texas Almanac. (Nov. 6, 2012) http://www.texasalmanac.com/topics/history/timeline/first-thanksgiving
- Krulwich, Robert. "First Thanksgiving Dinner: No Turkeys. No Ladies. No Pie." NPR. Nov. 23, 2011 (Nov. 6, 2012) http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2010/11/22/131516586/who-brought-the-turkey-the-truth-about-the-first-thanksgiving
- Large, Jerry. "The Pilgrims At Plymouth: Not What You Think." Seattle Times. Nov. 25, 1999 (Nov. 6, 2012) http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19991125&slug=2997426
- Mach, Andrew. "A cornucopia of myths: Five things you thought you knew about Thanksgiving." The Christian Science Monitor. (Nov. 6, 2012) http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2011/1123/A-cornucopia-of-myths-Five-things-you-thought-you-knew-about-Thanksgiving
- Military.com. "Invasion of Grenada." (Nov. 6, 2012) http://www.military.com/Resources/HistorySubmittedFileView?file=history_grenada.htm
- National Museum of the American Indian. "Harvest Ceremony: Beyond the Thanksgiving Myth." (Nov. 6, 2012) http://nmai.si.edu/sites/1/files/pdf/education/NMAI_Harvest_Study_Guide.pdf
- Project Britain. "Facts About the Month of August." (Nov. 6, 2012) http://projectbritain.com/year/august.htm
- Perman, Cindy. "Turducken: The Triple-Threat of Thanksgiving Meat." CNBC. Nov. 24, 2010 (Nov. 6, 2012) . http://www.cnbc.com/id/40355274/Turducken_The_Triple_Threat_of_Thanksgiving_Meat
- Pilgrim Hall Museum. "King Philip's War." (Nov. 6, 2012) . http://www.pilgrimhall.org/philipwar.htm
- Plimouth Plantation. "Thanksgiving History." (Nov. 6, 2012) http://www.plimoth.org/learn/MRL/read/thanksgiving-history
- Plimouth Plantation. "Who Were the Pilgrims?" (Nov. 6, 2012)
- Scholastic. "The Thanksgiving Feast." (Nov. 6, 2012) http://www.scholastic.com/scholastic_thanksgiving/feast
- Shenkman, Rick. "Top 10 Myths About Thanksgiving." History News Network. Nov. 20, 2008 (Nov. 6, 2012) .http://hnn.us/articles/406.html
- Walch, Timothy. "Thanksgiving Myths." (Nov. 7, 2012). http://hnn.us/articles/1126.html
- Walker, Lyssa. "First Thanksgiving." National Geographic Kids. (Nov. 6, 2012) http://kids.nationalgeographic.com/kids/stories/history/first-thanksgiving