Since this Halloween game involves speed and needs a running start, it's best played outside in the yard, though it can be played indoors in a large living room or basement cleared of furniture and breakables.
Have one child stand across the floor or yard, at least ten feet from the rest of the group. He or she is the guard of the maiden (use a doll or stuffed animal for the maiden).
Place an empty box behind the group. On "Go!," members of the group try to retrieve the maiden and run it back to the goal (the box) without being tagged by the guard. If a child is tagged by the guard before reaching the maiden, that child is out.
If a child is tagged by the guard while racing the maiden back to the box, he or she becomes the next guard.
If a child rescues the maiden and makes it back to the box, he or she wins a prize. Think of ideas that carry the theme such as crowns, tiny dragons, or little towers. At the end of the game, you may even want to give away the maiden.
Kids love to play tag. In our next section, we'll show you how to play the Halloween version of the game, Ghost out of Water.
Want more great Halloween ideas? Check out:
- Halloween Crafts: Check out ideas for spooky homemade fun in this article.
- Halloween Decorations: Dress up your home with these great Halloween decoration ideas.
- Kids' Halloween Costumes: Pirate or princess? Cowboy or cat? Find the perfect costume for your kids in this article.
- Halloween Party Ideas: Get the party started with these great Halloween party tips.
- Halloween Masks: No costume is complete without one of these masks.
- Pumpkin Carving Patterns: Get inspired by these great ideas for pumpkin carving.
- Halloween Recipes: Adults and kids alike will love these scary tasty treats.
- How Halloween Works: Check out this article for all things Halloween.