You might think that putting together a haunted house party requires a lot bigger budget than an average Halloween event. Not necessarily. Going the DIY way can save dough and be just as fun. It might just take a little more pre-planning to keep it cost-effective.
Here are a few tips:
- Pick a specific theme for your haunted house party and focus on its details. A modern-day mad scientist theme, for example, might be scarier and cleverer than your everyday ghost and goblin affair.
- Lighting definitely sets the mood, too. Replacing a few regular bulbs with dim, blue or red lights might do the trick.
- Consider renting a fog machine from your local party store.
- Hit your local craft store for decorations instead of the Halloween store aisles.
- Enlist the family to be characters in your haunted house.