Take Care of YOU.
You won't do anyone any favors if you spend all your time stressing about others and forget to focus on your own needs. You can't turn a corner these days without a doctor or therapist reminding you of a few golden rules:
- Keep your workout, meditation or nutrition schedules in place as much as you can.
- Likewise, don't overindulge in alcohol.
- Feeling some anxiety? Get out of the house. Go for a walk with the family and the dog. Hit the movie theater. Go bowling or shoot some pool.
- Avoid subjects of controversy with family, but be proactive when sensitive issues arise. Stressed about the economy? Leave the room when the subject comes up (or tell others it makes you uncomfortable). Sibling rivalry? Take five minutes and meditate before reacting.
- New to the family or the family's holiday celebrations? Ask your significant other about the family culture, as well as which topics to steer clear of, and find out how to be a successfully less-stressed partner.
- Traveling? Leave early, pack light, pre-ship gifts, and remember that magazines and DVD players go a long way during flight delays or when traveling with children.