Layaway is better than Store Credit
Dreaming of a debt-free New Year? Then don't be swayed by a store's in-house credit. Department store credit cards are notorious for staggering interest rates (often 20 percent or more) and promises of zero interest for what turns out to be too short a time. Instead, consider layaway. It can be a great way to split the pain of big-ticket price tags. And, there's something to be said for not carrying debt into the New Year. Just keep in mind that layaway may tempt you to overbuy. Plus, you can't always put sale items on layaway. Your best strategy will be to create a realistic budget that details how much you want to spend on each person, as well as a few unexpected interlopers -- like the office Secret Santa.
- Beck, Rachel. "In a Bad Economy, Old Stigmas no Longer Apply; Americans Less Shy about Layaway and Off-brands." (Nov. 8, 2010.) Newser.com.http://www.newser.com/article/d9jc31l01/in-a-bad-economy-old-stigmas-no-longer-apply-americans-less-shy-about-layaway-and-off-brands.html
- Belsie, Laurent. "HDTV: Want a Great Deal? Move Fast." (Nov. 9, 2010.) The Christian Science Monitor.http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/2010/1109/HDTV-Want-a-great-deal-Move-fast
- Cialdini, Robert. "Influence: Science and Practice." Prentice Hall, 2008.http://www.amazon.com/Influence-Practice-Robert-B-Cialdini/dp/0205609996/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1282485863&sr=8-2
- Chappatta, Brian. "NY Stores get 'Small Business Saturday.'" Nov. 8, 2010. CrainsNewYork.com.http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20101108/SMALLBIZ/101109874/0/REAL_ESTATE
- Grandpre, Dan. "The Facts Behind 15 Black Friday Myths." Oct. 26, 2010. (Nov. 6. 2010). DealNews.com.http://dealnews.com/features/The-Facts-Behind-15-Black-Friday-Myths-/398198.html
- Lazarony, Lucy. "Store Credit Cards: Flashy Perks, High Rates." (Nov. 6, 2010) MSN.com.http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/banking/creditcardsmarts/p55860.asp
- National Retail Federation. "Black Friday Verdict: As Expected, Number of Shoppers Up, Average Spending Down." Nov. 29, 2009. (Nov. 6. 2010). NRF.com.http://www.nrf.com/modules.php?name=news&op=viewlive&sp_id=841
- National Retail Federation. "Online Shopping Tips." (Nov. 6, 2010). NRF.com.http://www.nrf.com/modules.php?name=Pages&sp_id=883
- ReJournal.com. "Wegmans to Open Store in Prince George's as Giant, Safeway Move to Hold Dominance." (Nov. 6, 2010). ReJournal.com.http://www.rejournal.com/NY/sections/news/NYNews.aspx?newsID=10542
- Shellenbarger, Sue. "Using Ikea as a Babysitter: When Stores Offer Child Care." June 29, 2009. (Nov. 6, 2010). The Wall Street Journal.http://blogs.wsj.com/juggle/2009/06/29/using-ikea-as-a-babysitter-when-stores-offer-child-care/
- Snopes.com. "Black Friday." (Nov. 8, 2010) Snopes.com.http://www.snopes.com/holidays/thanksgiving/shopping.asp
- Yahoo.com. "Best Holiday Sales in Four Years Expected as Consumers Return." Nov. 2, 2010. (Nov. 6. 2010) Yahoo.com.http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Best-Holiday-Sales-In-Four-ibd-1406056345.html?x=0
White elephant. Mean Santa. Yankee swap. These are the holiday parties we live for. And HowStuffWorks has ways to liven yours up this year.