It's the morning of your 40th birthday and you suddenly find yourself craving the birthday cake your mom used to make and let you eat for birthday breakfast. Unfortunately, you don't have the recipe. Sounds like it's time to start another family tradition -- the family cookbook. Let's be honest, most holidays and special occasions revolve around food. And not just any food, but the homemade treats passed down and made by your family for decades. To keep these recipes and memories safe, why not collect all of your family's favorite recipes and put them in a binder for each of your children?
Next time you're all in the kitchen, snap a photo and add that to the front cover. Each year, as family members find and try out new recipes, make sure to add them to the book. Be creative with the titles too, because they will help you preserve the memory of the meal. You could add "Tom Finally Popped the Question Jalapeno Poppers" or "Space Shuttle Chicken" from that shuttle launch tailgate. Notes will add a special touch as well -- "Don't forget to forget the nutmeg, since Dad forgot it on Mom's birthday, and we decided it was better that way."
- "Our Book of Thanks." Eighteen25. Sept. 1, 2010. (July 28, 2011) http://eighteen25.blogspot.com/2010/11/our-book-of-thanks.html
- "Produce a Talent Show." Disney Family Fun. (July 28, 2011) http://familyfun.go.com/playtime/produce-a-talent-show-706132/
- "Put a Cork In It! Creative Crafts Made From Wine Corks." PlanetGreen.com. July 27, 2010. (July 28, 2011) http://planetgreen.discovery.com/home-garden/put-a-cork-in-it-creative-crafts-made-from-wine-corks.html
- "Talent Shows: Ideas for Fun and Fundraising." VolunteerSpot.com. May 14, 2009. (July 28, 2011) http://blog.volunteerspot.com/volunteer_guru/2009/05/talent-shows-ideas-for-fun-and-fundraising.html
- Thigpen, Julie. "DIY Cork Crafts for Winos." Belle Maison. Jan. 12, 2010. (July 28, 2011) http://www.bellemaison23.com/2010/01/diy-cork-crafts-for-winos.html
- "Wine Cork Board." MarthaStewart.com. 2011. (July 28, 2011) http://www.marthastewart.com/271055/wine-cork-board
What are good traditions for families during the summer? Read about 5 summertime family traditions at HowStuffWorks.