Author's Note: 5 Unconventional Parenting Methods
In her book "Raising America," Ann Hulbert notes that between 1977 and 1995, the number of parenting titles published increased five-fold. Since then, the amount of parenting advice floating around out there must've climbed even higher, considering the natural pace of the publishing industry and the incredible success of parenting blogs online. So what's a new mom or dad to do when they're preparing to take complete responsibility for a child's upbringing?
Further complicating matters, conflicting parenting methods have existed since pediatricians and child psychologists began publicly peddling their advice en masse at the beginning of the 20th century. Likewise, the five unconventional parenting methods dissected here all approach the same outcome -- healthy, successful children -- in vastly different ways. But while each of them has attracted negative public attention, I also wanted to call out their potential positive effects. Because the reality of child rearing remains that, when parents invest themselves in bringing up smart, happy kids, it's more the positive parental intent than a precise parenting method that makes the ultimate difference.
- 10 Famous Fathers
- How Fatherhood Works
- How much does it cost to be a stay-at-home mom?
- How to Coach Your Adult Child Into a Career
- How to Handle Parents While Coaching
- How to Stay Involved with Your Tween without Hovering
- Modern Dad: A 21st Century Fatherhood Quiz
- Top 10 Mom Businesses
- Quiz: Are you a helicopter parent?
- Anderegg, David. "The Power of Conviction." The New York Times. Jan. 14, 2011. (April 19, 2012) http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2011/01/13/is-extreme-parenting-effective/the-power-of-conviction-in-child-rearing
- Belkin, Lisa. "What Is Slow-Parenting?" The New York Times. April 08, 2009. (April 19, 2012) http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/04/08/what-is-slow-parenting/
- Bretherton, Inge. "John Bowlby and Mary Ainsworth." Developmental Psychology. 1992. (April 19, 2012) http://www.psychology.sunysb.edu/attachment/online/inge_origins.pdf
- Chua, Amy. "Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior." The Wall Street Journal. Jan. 08, 2011. (April 19, 2012) http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704111504576059713528698754.html
- Chua-Rubenfeld. "Why I love my strict Chinese mom." New York Post. Jan. 18, 2011. (April 19, 2012) http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/why_love_my_strict_chinese_mom_uUvfmLcA5eteY0u2KXt7hM
- Gibbs, Nancy. "The Growing Backlash Against Overparenting." TIME. Nov. 20, 2009. (April 19, 2012) http://www.time.com/time/printout/0,8816,1940697,00.html
- Hanes, Stephanie. "Alicia Silverstone taps long tradition of pre-chewing baby food." Christian Science Monitor. March 28, 2012. (April 19, 2012) http://www.csmonitor.com/The-Culture/Family/2012/0328/Alicia-Silverstone-taps-long-tradition-of-pre-chewing-baby-food
- Hulbert, Ann. "Raising America: Experts, Parents, and a Century of Advice About Children." Random House Digital, Inc. April 13, 2004. (April 19, 2012) http://books.google.com/books?id=iMNhCWtsOoYC&dq=Raising+America:+Experts,+Parents,+and+a+Century+of+Advice+About+Children&source=gbs_navlinks_s
- Lacher, Irene. "The Sunday Conversation: Mayim Bialik." Los Angeles Times. March 04, 2012. (April 19, 2012) http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-ca-conversation-20120304,0,3555160.story?track=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+latimes%2Fentertainment+%28Entertainment+News%29
- Law, Bridget Murray. "Top 10 Radical Parenting Methods." Discovery Health. (April 19, 2012) http://health.discovery.com/tv/baby-week/articles/radical-parenting-methods.html
- McVeigh, Tracy. "Parenting guru Bryan Caplan prescribes less fuss – and more fun." The Guardian. May 14, 2011. (April 19, 2012) http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/may/15/parenting-less-fuss-more-fun
- Shea, Rachel Hartigan. "Baby Steps." U.S. News. May 11, 2003. (April 19, 2012) http://www.usnews.com/usnews/culture/articles/030519/19children.htm
- Tugend, Alina. "Too Many Choices: A Problem That Can Paralyze." The New York Times. Feb. 26, 2010. (April 19, 2012) http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/27/your-money/27shortcuts.html
- WebMD. "What Is Attachment Parenting?" (April 19, 2012) http://www.webmd.com/parenting/what-is-attachment-parenting
- Wolchover, Natalie. "Should You Pre-Chew Your Baby's Food?" LiveScience. Apirl 02, 2012. (April 19, 2012) http://www.livescience.com/19435-pre-chew-baby-food.html