Lots More Information
Why do colleges give out honorary degrees? And do those who get them earn the right to be called 'doctor'? HowStuffWorks finds out.
Author's Note: 5 Incredible Things You'll Learn in Kindergarten
As a mom writing about kindergarten readiness and curriculum, I found myself constantly surprised in the course of my research. With a toddler at home, we have several years before we'll start school, and yet, in gathering all of this information, I found that some kindergarten skills are ones my child already has -- and others are ones I can scarcely imagine her possessing. For me, this article reinforces the idea that every child really does develop at a different pace -- that whether he or she measures "ahead" or "behind" or "just right" seems more a matter for textbooks than for practice. As with almost everything else in parenting, the kindergarten experience varies from child to child and can be exciting, stressful and/or a huge surprise -- hopefully somewhat less the latter after reading this.
More Great Links
- Grade-by-Grade Learning: Kindergarten. PBS Parents. (May 28, 2012) http://www.pbs.org/parents/goingtoschool/what_kinder.html
- How They Grow in Kindergarten. Family Education. (May 28, 2012) http://life.familyeducation.com/kindergarten/child-development/29538.html
- Kindergarten: What Will They Learn? Family Education. (May 28, 2012) http://school.familyeducation.com/kindergarten/parents-and-school/38484.html
- Perrone, Vito. "The Kindergarten Curriculum." Family Education. (May 28, 2012) http://school.familyeducation.com/kindergarten/curriculum-planning/38485.html
- Preparing for Kindergarten. Scholastic Parents. (May 28, 2012) http://www.scholastic.com/resources/article/preparing-for-kindergarten/