Winston Churchill: "I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter."
Aside from leading England through World War II, this two-time British Prime Minister was probably best known for his wit -- which is clearly displayed in this epitaph. Churchill first uttered this quip on his 75th birthday, when a reporter asked him if he was afraid of dying (which he obviously was not). When Churchill did die of a stroke, on January 24, 1965 at the age of 90, the words were permanently inscribed on his gravestone at St. Martin's Church, Bladon in Oxfordshire. Apparently he was ready to go, as his last words reportedly were, "I'm so bored with it all."
- Associated Press. "Rodney Dangerfield Dead at 82." MSNBC. October 7, 2004. (January 6, 2012) http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/6187136/ns/today-entertainment/t/rodney-dangerfield-dead/#.TwcSns3J0tk
- BBC News. "Milligan gets last laugh on grave." May 24, 2004. (January 5, 2012) http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/southern_counties/3742443.stm.
- Browne, Sylvia. Afterlives of the Rich and Famous. HarperCollins, 2011.
- Cheakalos, Christina. "So Long, Sinatra." People. June 8, 1998. (January 6, 2012) http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20125464,00.html.
- CNN. "Actor Jack Lemmon dead at 76." June 28, 2001. (January 5, 2012) http://articles.cnn.com/2001-06-28/entertainment/lemmon.obit_1_ensign-pulver-china-syndrome-oscars-for-best-actor?_s=PM:SHOWBIZ
- Dee Dee Ramone.com. "About Dee Dee Ramone." (January 6, 2012) http://deedeeramone.com/about.html
- Devenish, Colin. "Dee Dee Ramone Dies." Rolling Stone. June 6, 2002. (January 6, 2012) http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/dee-dee-ramone-dies-20020606
- Escott, Colin. "Hank Williams." PBS. August 10, 2005. (January 6, 2012) http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmasters/episodes/hank-williams/about-hank-williams/734/
- Escott, Colin, George Merritt, and William MacEwen. Hank Williams: The Biography. Hachette Digital, 1994.
- Grimes, William. "Studs Terkel, Listener to Americans, Dies." New York Times. October 31, 2008. (January 5, 2012) http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/01/books/01terkel.html?pagewanted=all
- Guardian staff. "Respected comic Dangerfield dies aged 82." The Guardian. October 6, 2004. (January 6, 2012). http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2004/oct/06/news1.
- Haubold, Kathrin. Emily Dickinson's Life and Poetry. GRIN Verlag, 2011.
- Hochman, David. "What George Carlin Told Me About the Afterlife and What He'd Like on His Tombstone." Huffington Post. June 23, 2008. (January 5, 2012) huffingtonpost.com/david-hochman/george-carlin-on-heaven_b_108723.html
- Jacobsson, Sarah. "A Brief History of Pi." PC World. March 13, 2010. (January 5, 2012) http://www.pcworld.com/article/191389/a_brief_history_of_pi.html
- Kasner, Edward, and James Newman. Mathematics and the Imagination. Courier Dover Publications, 2001.
- Keister, Douglas. Stories in Stone: A Field Guide to Cemetery Symbolism and Iconography. Gibbs Smith, 2004.
- Koon, George William. Hank Williams, So Lonesome. University Press of Mississippi, 1983.
- Lawson, Tim and Alisa Persons. The Magic Behind the Voices: A Who's Who of Cartoon Voice Actors. University Press of Mississippi, 2004.
- Lefever, Harry G. and Michael C. Page. Sacred Places: a guide to the civil rights sites in Atlanta, Georgia. Mercer University Press, 2008.
- Lewis, C.S. Christian Reflections. Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing, 1994.
- Perry, John. Winston Churchill. Thomas Nelson Inc., 2010.
- PBS. American Experience. "The Death of Jesse James." (January 5, 2012) http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/features/general-article/james-death/
- PBS. "Emily Dickinson." (January 5, 2012) http://www.pbs.org/wnet/ihas/poet/dickinson.html
- Rubin, Gretchen Craft. Forty Ways to Look at Winston Churchill: A Brief Account of a Long Life. Random House Digital, Inc., 2004.
- Sceurman, Mark, Mark Moran, and Matt Lake. Weird U.S. The ODDyssey Continues. Sterling Publishing Company, Inc., 2008.
- Slater, Tom and Marsha Dixey. Political and Americana Memorabilia Auction. Heritage Capital Corporation, 2005.
- Stanton, Scott. The Tombstone Tourist: Musicians. Simon and Schuster, 2003.
- Terkel, Studs. Touch and Go: A Memoir. The New Press, 2008.
- Time. "Top 10 Celebrity Grave Sites." (January 6, 2012) http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1919236_1919237_1919226,00.html
- Thise, Mark. Hollywood Winners & Losers A to Z. Hal Leonard Corporation, 2008.
- Warner, Gary. "Cemetery tours -- a who's who of Hollywood." January 10, 2006. (January 5, 2012) p://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10778941/ns/travel-destination_travel/t/cemetery-tours---whos-who-hollywood/#.TwXba828o2I
- Wiersbe, Warren W. The Wiersbe Bible Commentary: The Complete New Testament. David C. Cook, 2007.
Greek letters are used in math and science and by fraternities and sororities. What is the Greek alphabet, exactly?