Lots More Information
The presidential debate is a time-honored institution that's constantly evolving. Learn about the presidential debate and the impact it has on voters.
Author's Note: 10 Weirdest Failed Constitutional Amendments
When people throw around an idea for a constitutional amendment for this or a constitutional amendment for that, they don't always realize what a high bar they have to clear. It's really hard to get one passed — which is probably why only 27 have ever been tacked on to our founding document. But, after researching some of the 11,000-plus amendments that have been proposed, believe me when I tell you that's probably a good thing.
More Great Links
- Albert, Richard. "The 'Ghost Amendment' That Haunts Lincoln's Legacy." Cognoscenti. Feb. 18, 2013. (Aug. 16, 2016) http://cognoscenti.legacy.wbur.org/2013/02/18/the-other-13th-richard-albert
- Bernstein, Richard B. and Jerome Agel. "Amending America: If We Love the Constitution So Much, Why Do We Keep Trying to Change It." University Press of Kansas. 1995. https://books.google.com/books/about/Amending_America.html?id=A8wJAAAACAAJ
- History.com staff. "The Fight for Women's Suffrage." History.com. 2009. (Aug. 24, 2016) http://www.history.com/topics/womens-history/the-fight-for-womens-suffrage
- House Judiciary Committee. "H.J. Res. 661." April 21, 1938. (Aug. 17, 2016) https://catalog.archives.gov/id/24824208
- Musmanno, Michael Angelo. "Proposed Amendments to the Constitution." U.S. Government Printing Office. 1929. https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.b3639821;view=1up;seq=5
- National Archives. "The Constitutional Amendment Process." 2016. (Aug. 17, 2016) https://www.archives.gov/federal-register/constitution/
- National Archives. "US National Archives Exhibit." 2016. (Aug. 16, 2016) http://usnatarchivesexhibits.tumblr.com/post/148048717491/widows-and-spinsters-before-the-19th-amendment
- Special to The New York Times. "Letters to Congress: Amend the Constitution? Let Us Count the Ways." The New York Times. Aug. 3, 1987. (Aug. 15, 2016) http://www.nytimes.com/1987/08/03/us/washinton-talk-letters-to-congress-amend-the-constitution-let-us-count-the-ways.html
- United States House of Representatives. "Journal of the House." U.S. Government Printing Office. 1888.
- United States Senate. "House Member Introduces Resolution to Abolish the Senate." 2016. (Aug. 15, 2016) http://www.senate.gov/artandhistory/history/minute/House_Member_Introduces_Resolution_To_Abolish_the_Senate.htm
- Vile, John R. "Encyclopedia of Constitutional Amendments, Proposed Amendments, and Amending Issues, 1789-1995." ABC-CLIO. 1996. https://books.google.com/books/about/Encyclopedia_of_Constitutional_Amendment.html?id=rMZsAAAAIAAJ