Lots More Information
What superstitions existed in the past about solar eclipses? Do any persist today? Learn about eclipse superstitions in this HowStuffWorks article.
Author's Note: 10 Wacky Birthday Superstitions
After more than eight years as a writer, this was one of my most difficult articles to research. That definitely surprised me, as it seems like such a simple topic. The truth is, beyond blowing out the candles and making a silent wish, I knew of very few birthday superstitions. Sure, there are plenty of traditions out there, but many of them couldn't really be described as superstitions. In the end, I had to dig a little deeper into the past and incorporate both regional and international birthday superstitions. What drew me in while writing was the pure romance and nostalgia of baking a ring or coin into a cake — imagine if someone were to do that today — hello, lawsuit! I was also enchanted by the Asian custom of starting over when you reach a certain age. If it were up to me, everyone would get such a chance.
- Brown, Ju. "China, Japan, Korea." 2006. (Jan. 5, 2015) https://books.google.com/books?id=3r-3YH3t45cC&dq=china+birthday+traditions&q=korea+60#v=onepage&q&f=false
- Carroll, William. "Superstitions: 10,000 You Really Need." Coda Publications. 1998. (Jan. 5, 2015)
- Daniels, Cora Linn Morrison and Charles McClellan Stevens. "Encyclopaedia of Superstitions, Folklore, and the Occult Sciences of the World." J. H. Yewdale & Sons Co. 1903. (Jan. 5, 2015)
- Fogel, Edwin Miller. "Beliefs and Superstitions of the Pennsylvania Germans." Penn State Press. 2009.
- Malossini, Andrea. "Italian Superstitions." 2013. (Jan. 5, 2015) https://books.google.com/books?id=3g8dv0cPHsIC&dq=birthday+superstitions&q=earlobe#v=onepage&q&f=false
- Massey, Brent. "Cultureshock! Hawaii: A Survival Guide to Customs and Etiquette." Marshall Cavendish. 2006. (Jan. 5, 2015)
- Murrell, Deborah. "Superstitions: 1,013 of the Wackiest Myths, Fables and Old Wives' Tales." Reade's Digest Association. 2008.
- Oliver, Harry. "Black Cats & Four-Leaf Clovers: The Origins of Old Wives' Tales and Superstitions in Our Everyday Lives." Penguin. 2010.
- Rodionov, Alexander and Maya Krivchenia. "Russia Survival Guide." Xlibris Corporation. 2014.
- Roud, Steve. "The Penguin Guide to the Superstitions of Britain and Ireland." Penguin UK. 2006.
- Thomas, Daniel Lindsey and Lucy Blayney Thomas. "Kentucky Superstitions." Princeton University Press. 1920. (Jan. 5, 2015)
- Webster, Richard. "The Encyclopedia of Superstitions." Llewellyn Worldwide. 2013.
- Woodfield, Marilee Whiting. "Children Around the World: The Ultimate Class Field Trip, Grades PK to 2." Carson-Dellosa Publishing. 2010.