No Personal Grooming Allowed
You couldn't help it. You were running late. With good reason! The baby was screaming all night. You stayed up until 3 a.m. tending to your sick husband. You didn't hear your alarm. So clearly, you had no choice but to complete your grooming on the train.
Uh, not clearly. If you didn't have time to put on your makeup today, you'll have to go do without or apply it in your company's bathroom. And don't even think about shaving, flossing your teeth, plucking your eyebrows or clipping your nails en route. Those activities cause parts of your body, or items stuck in parts of your body, to go sailing into the air -- where they may possibly land on an unsuspecting victim. Beyond disgusting. Here's the simple truth: Grooming is for the bathroom or your own personal space. It's not something that's done in public. Or worse, on a sealed container with no way out, like a train.
Author's Note: Train Etiquette: 10 Rules of Riding the Rails
All of these train etiquette rules are nothing more than common sense and good manners. It's sad how many people have neither.
More Great Links
- Amtrak. "Carry-on Baggage." (March 19, 2015) http://www.amtrak.com/carry-on-baggage
- Armstrong, Lindsay. "MTA Moves In On 'Showtime' Dancers With Pole-Swinging Ad." DNA Info. Jan. 13, 2015. (March 19, 2015) http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20150113/washington-heights/mta-moves-on-showtime-dancers-with-pole-swinging-ad
- Billups, Andrea. "Voice Actor Shuts Down Subway 'Preacher' by Belting Willy Wonka Tune (VIDEO)." People. Jan. 17, 2015. (March 16, 2015) http://www.people.com/article/homophobic-subway-preacher-golden-ticket-video
- Carlson, Jen. "This Cat Was The NYC Subway Etiquette Mascot In The 1960s." Gothamist. March 3, 2015. (March 16, 2015) http://gothamist.com/2015/03/03/subway_etiquette_cat.php
- Fitzsimmons, Emma. "A Scourge Is Spreading. M.T.A.'s Cure? Dude, Close Your Legs." The New York Times. Dec. 20, 2014. (March 16, 2015) http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/21/nyregion/MTA-targets-manspreading-on-new-york-city-subways.html
- Johnson, Peter. "New York Evangelist Uses Subway System as Ministry Platform." Charisma. May 31, 2005. (March 16, 2015) http://www.charismamag.com/spirit/devotionals/loving-god?view=article&id=1605:new-york-evangelist-uses-subway-system-as-ministry-platform&catid=154
- Metropolitan Transportation Authority. "Courtesy Counts." (March 19, 2015) http://web.mta.info/nyct/service/CourtesyCounts.htm#POLESAREFORSAFETY
- Metropolitan Transportation Authority. "Standing Clear of Doors, Removing Backpacks on Crowded Trains and Using Only One Seat are some of the reminders Customers will See Starting in January." Dec. 22, 2014. (March 16, 2015) http://www.mta.info/news-new-york-city-transit-subway-bus-courtesy/2014/12/22/standing-clear-doors-removing-backpacks
- New York Transit Museum. "Archival Collection." (March 20, 2015) http://nytm.pastperfect-online.com/34394cgi/mweb.exe?request=record;id=C8A8CF10-0F81-405A-9625-904043346724;type=301
- Northern Indiana Commuter Transportation District. "FAQs." (March 19, 2015) http://www.nictd.com/riding-the-train/faqs#briefcase
- O'Brien, Glenn. "Crossing Your Legs." GQ. (March 17, 2015) http://www.gq.com/style/style-guy/miscellany/200803/crossing-legs
- Seid, Syndi. "10 Tips on Commuter Etiquette." Advanced Etiquette. Oct. 1, 2010. (March 16, 2015) http://www.advancedetiquette.com/2010/10/10-tips-for-commuter-etiquette/
- Smith, Jasmine. "10 Fascinating Types of People You Encounter on the Subway." Big Appled. May 8, 2014. (March 16, 2015) http://bigappled.com/2014/05/08/ten-facinating-types-people-encounter-subway/
- Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority. "Passenger Etiquette." (March 16, 2015) http://www.septa.org/cs/etiquette/
- Sternbergh, Adam. "The Urban Etiquette Handbook." New York Magazine. (March 16, 2015) http://nymag.com/guides/etiquette/17332/index6.html
We look at the growing trend of Scatter Days in the U.S., where people may scatter the ashes of loved ones on the grounds of a funeral home for free.