Lots More Information
HowStuffWorks presents 10 stories of people who experienced really bad luck, like Pete Best, Ron Wayne and Richard Jewell.
Author's Note: 10 Superstitions About Travel
With the vast majority of high rises and hotels skipping right over the unlucky 13th floor, it can catch you off guard to find a hotel that doesn't follow this long-running superstition. Several of the big casino resorts in Las Vegas, including the Las Vegas Hilton, have bypassed the tradition of skipping right from 12 to 14, electing to include a 13th floor in spite of superstitions about this unlucky number. What I found interesting was reading what firefighters think when hotels include a 13th floor. Turns out, that 13th floor might actually be pretty unlucky if a fire breaks out; firefighters are so used to hotels without a 13th story that finding one that breaks with tradition could actually be confusing during an emergency. Intriguing how a seemingly baseless superstition might actually come to life in this kind of situation.
- Capo, Ava Laboy. "Traditions/Superstitions From Around the World!" AuthorHouse. 2013. (Jan. 5, 2015) https://books.google.com/books?id=fHxTAgAAQBAJ&pg=PA37&dq=travel+superstitions&hl=en&sa=X&ei=vdCtVPDEOIihNvrsgpgI&ved=0CC0Q6AEwAzgK#v=onepage&q&f=false
- Carroll, William. "Superstitions: 10,000 You Really Need." Coda Publications. 1998. (Jan. 5, 2015) https://books.google.com/books?id=PEXXs6swmPwC&pg=PP10&dq=travel+superstitions&hl=en&sa=X&ei=vdCtVPDEOIihNvrsgpgI&ved=0CBwQ6AEwADgK#v=onepage&q&f=false
- Hanauer, Eric. "Seafaring Superstitions." Dive Training. (Jan. 5, 2015) http://web.archive.org/web/20150219024110/http://www.dtmag.com/Stories/Weird%20Stuff/08-06-feature.htm
- Lundmark, Torbjorn. "Tales of Hi and Bye." Cambridge University Press. 2009. (Jan. 5, 2015) http://ebooks.cambridge.org/chapter.jsf?bid=CBO9780511657450&cid=CBO9780511657450A024
- McCartney, Scott. "How to Make Airports Safer? Try Putting Trees on the Tower." The Wall Street Journal. Aug. 5, 1996. (Jan. 5, 2015) http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB839196653218485500
- McCartney, Scott. "The Oddest Airline Superstitions." The Wall Street Journal. Oct. 2, 2013. (Jan. 5, 2015) http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702304176904579111350872569482
- Rambow, John. "Curses! Superstitions Around the World." NBC News. Nov. 13, 2009. (Jan. 5, 2015) http://www.nbcnews.com/id/33792757/ns/travel-travel_tips/t/curses-superstitions-around-world/#.VK8ZQCvF9Bh
- Thomas, Daniel Lindsey and Lucy Blayney Thomas. "Kentucky Superstitions." Princeton University Press. 1920. (Jan. 5, 2015) https://books.google.com/books?id=6GbYAAAAMAAJ&dq=birthday+superstitions&q=wet+clothes#v=onepage&q&f=false
- Travel Maestro. "Travel Superstitions -- 10 Famous Landmarks That Bring Visitors Luck and Love." Covington Travel. Aug. 5, 2014. (Jan. 5, 2015) http://www.covingtontravel.com/2014/08/travel-superstitions-10-famous-landmarks-that-bring-visitors-luck-and-love/
- Webster, Richard. "The Encyclopedia of Superstitions." Llewellyn Publications. 2008.