Lots More Information
If someone calls your tastes 'bourgeois,' should you thank them or shake a fist? We look at the evolution of the words 'bourgeois' and 'bourgeoisie.'
Author's Note: 10 Grocery Store Etiquette Rules
Before we moved recently, I used to find shopping with my kids stressful. They both wanted to sit in the designated child seat, but they couldn't both fit there. So the older one bundled himself into the lower section of the cart. This was fine for a while, but then they would want to switch spots mid-shop or climb down and scamper off into the maze of aisles screaming at the top of their lungs. Thankfully, our new local grocery store has an ingenious solution to this problem: toddler-sized carts. My two little demons have become model shoppers, carefully guiding their personal carts, which I load down with all my unbreakable purchases. So far, so good.
More Great Links
- Asghar, Rob. "27 Etiquette Rules for Our Times." Forbes. April, 22, 2014. (March 24, 2015) http://www.forbes.com/sites/robasghar/2014/04/22/27-etiquette-rules-for-our-times/
- Curtin, Michael. "A Question of Manners: Status and Gender in Etiquette and Courtesy." The Journal of Modern History. Vol. 57, No. 3. 396-423. 1985. (March 28, 2015) http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/1879686?sid=21105806027351&uid=3739448&uid=2&uid=4&uid=3737720
- Dowling, Tim. "Supermarket Etiquette: A Guide to Modern Manners." The Guardian. July 3, 2013. (March 28, 2015) http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/shortcuts/2013/jul/03/supermarket-etiquette-guide-to-modern-manners
- Drenten, Jenna et al. "An exploratory investigation of the dramatic play of preschool children within a grocery store shopping context." International Journal of Retail & Distribution Management. Vol. 36, Iss. 10. 831-855. 2008. (March 28, 2015) http://www.emeraldinsight.com/doi/abs/10.1108/09590550810901017
- Morrison, Amy. "Why You're Not Failing as a Mother." Pregnant Chicken. Nov. 9, 2012. (March 30, 2015) http://www.pregnantchicken.com/pregnant-chicken-blog/2012/11/9/why-youre-never-failing-as-a-mother
- Nakládalová, Renata. "A Cross-Cultural Analysis of Social and Business Etiquette in the United States of America and China." 2011. (March 28, 2015) http://digilib.k.utb.cz/bitstream/handle/10563/19872/nakládalová_2012_bp.pdf?sequence=1
- Ojito, Mirta. "Danish Mother Is Reunited With Her Baby." The New York Times. May 15, 1997. (April 2, 2015) http://www.nytimes.com/1997/05/15/nyregion/danish-mother-is-reunited-with-her-baby.html
- Schwartz, John. "Study Gauges Plastic Level in Oceans." The New York Times. Dec. 10, 2014. (April 2, 2015) http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/11/science/new-research-quantifies-the-oceans-plastic-problem.html
- Siple, Murray. "Carts of Darkness." National Film Board of Canada. 2008. (April 2, 2015) https://www.nfb.ca/film/carts_of_darkness/
- Wouters, Cas. "Etiquette books and emotion management in the 20th century: Part one: The integration of social classes." Journal of Social History. Vol. 29, No. 1. 107-124. 1995. (April 2, 2015) http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/3788711?sid=21105806027351&uid=3737720&uid=2&uid=3739448&uid=4