It's always shocking for me to read about conditions during the Jim Crow era. As a Northerner, I tend to think that slavery and all of its wretched indignities somehow disappeared immediately after Emancipation. It's hard for me to understand how the legacy of Jim Crow continued for nearly a century, all the way until the Civil Rights era of the 1960s. Reading about the violent and well-organized suppression of the black vote during Jim Crow helps me understand why not only the African-American community, but those interested in protecting the civil rights of all Americans, respond so passionately to laws could potentially deny the vote to deserving citizens. This will be an interesting election for many reasons. It's my hope that everyone has their fair say.
- 10 Things You Didn't Know About the U.S. Constitution
- How the Civil Rights Movement Worked
- How a Filibuster Works
- How Presidential Pardons Work
- How Protests Work
- Does democracy work?
- What is citizen journalism?
- What are "midnight regulations," and how do they affect the next presidency?
- Are there limits to freedom of the press in the U.S.?
- American Civil Liberties Union. "Voter Suppression in America" (May 7, 2012) https://www.aclu.org/voter-suppression-america
- American Civil Liberties Union. "Voting Rights Act Timeline." March 4, 2005 (May 7, 2012) https://www.aclu.org/files/assets/voting_rights_act_timeline20111222.pdf
- Berman, Ari. Rolling Stone. "The GOP War on Voting." August 30, 2011 (May 7, 2012) http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/the-gop-war-on-voting-20110830
- Chebium, Raju. USA Today. "Justice Dept.: S.C. voter ID law violates Voting Rights Act." April 10, 2012 (May 7, 2012) http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/judicial/story/2012-04-10/south-carolina-voter-id/54159078/1
- Fairvote.org. "A Constitutional Right to Vote." (May 7, 2012) http://archive.fairvote.org/?page=72
- Fairvote.org. "The Legality of Gerrymandering" (May 7, 2012) http://archive.fairvote.org/redistricting/legality.htm
- Freeman, Brian; Field, Michael; and Rodriguez, Raymond. Rockefeller Center at Dartmouth College. "Voter Suppression: New Hampshire's Response to a National Problem." March 9, 2009 (May 7, 2012) http://rockefeller.dartmouth.edu/shop/PRS Policy Brief 0809-02.pdf
- Keysarr, Alexander. The New York Times. "The Strange Career of Voter Suppression." February 12, 2012 (May 7, 2012) http://campaignstops.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/12/the-strange-career-of-voter-suppression/
- National Conference of State Legislatures. "Voter Identification Requirements" (May 7, 2012) http://www.ncsl.org/legislatures-elections/elections/voter-id.aspx
- Robbins, Tom. The New York Times. "Roots of 'Ballot Security': Dead Voters, Party Fears and Shadowy Tactics." October 4, 2011 (May 7, 2012) http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/05/nyregion/ballot-security-an-issue-in-consultants-trial-has-a-dark-past.html
- Stout, David. The New York Times. "Supreme Court Upholds Voter Identification Law in Indiana." April 29, 2008 (May 7, 2012) http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/29/washington/28cnd-scotus.html
- Tobin, Jonathan S. Commentary. "Voter ID is Not Voter Suppression." February 13, 2012 (May 7, 2012) http://www.commentarymagazine.com/2012/02/13/voter-id-suppression-racism-elections/
- United States Code. "Title 42 – The Public Health and Welfare; Chapter 20 – Elective Franchise; Subchapter 1A – Enforcement of Voting Rights" (May 7, 2012) http://www.justice.gov/crt/about/vot/42usc/subch_ia.php#anchor_1973fv
- U.S. Department of Justice. "Justice Department Seeks Injunction Against New Black Panther Party." January 7, 2009 (May 7, 2012) http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/2009/January/09-crt-014.html
- U.S. Department of Justice. "Voting Rights Act of 1965" (May 7, 2012) http://www.justice.gov/crt/about/vot/intro/intro_b.php
- Zernike, Kate and Yardley, William. The New York Times. "Charges of Fraud and Voter Suppression Already Flying." November 1, 2004 (May 7, 2012) http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/01/politics/campaign/01voting.html