I have never been contacted by a public opinion poll, and frankly, I'm a little hurt. Doesn't my educated and (obviously) fascinating opinion count for anything? In researching this article, I came across the following estimate of the number of polls conducted each year and the number of people contacted. If there are roughly 2,500 national polls conducted each year and each poll contacts 1,000 participants, then only 2,500,000 of the nation's 200 million adults get to participate each year. That gives me a one in 100 chance of getting a call from Gallup. Until then, I'm sticking to my same response every time I see the latest poll numbers claiming to represent the opinion of all Americans: "Well, nobody asked me."
- 5 Ways TV Has Influenced Presidential Elections
- How the Census Works
- How Political Primaries Work
- How Super PACs Work
- How Political Conventions Work
- How the U.S. President Works
- How Newspapers Work
- How Protests Work
- How does the Electoral College work?
- How do caucuses work?
- What is citizen journalism?
- Does democracy work?
- Are there limits to freedom of the press in the U.S.?
- American Association for Public Opinion Research. "AAPOR Statement on Push Polls." June 2007 (April 10, 2012.) http://www.aapor.org/AAPOR_Statements_on_Push_Polls1.htm
- American Association for Public Opinion Research. "Margin of Sampling Error." (April 12, 2012.) http://www.aapor.org/Margin_of_Sampling_Error1.htm
- Crossen, Cynthia. The Wall Street Journal. "Fiasco in 1936 Survey Brought "Science" to Election Polling." October 2, 2006 (April 10, 2012.) http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB115974322285279370-_rk13XDUHmIcnA8DYs5VUscZG94_20071001.html?mod=rss_free
- Edison Research. "Exit Polling" (April 10, 2012.) http://www.edisonresearch.com/us_exit_polling.php
- Lambert, David; Langer, Gary; and McMenemy, Mike. Synovate. "Cell-Phone Sampling: An Alternative Approach." May 14, 2010 (April 11, 2012.) http://abcnews.go.com/images/PollingUnit/Cell-OnlySampling-Lambert-Langer-McMenemy-2010.pdf
- Langer, Gary. ABC News. "ANC News' Polling Methodology and Standards." November 15, 2011 (April 10, 2012.) http://abcnews.go.com/US/PollVault/abc-news-polling-methodology-standards/story?id=145373#.T4XxV5pYvL9
- Rasmussen, Scott. Rasmussen Reports. "Comparing Approval Ratings from Different Polling Firms." March 17, 2009 (April 12, 2012.) http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/political_commentary/commentary_by_scott_rasmussen/comparing_approval_ratings_from_different_polling_firms
- Rasmussen Reports. "Methodology" (April 11, 2012.) http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/about_us/methodology
- Zukin, Cliff. American Association for Public Opinion Research. "Sources of Variation in Published Election Polling: A Primer." October 2004 (April 10, 2012.) http://www.aapor.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Poll_andamp_Survey_FAQ&Template=/CM/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=3226