Until recently, fatherhood has gotten short shrift, scientifically and culturally speaking. When it comes to parent-child relationships, motherhood has long been considered the crucial bond, which makes sense since moms are babies' biological conduits. But fatherhood also makes a powerful impact in children's lives, as evidenced by governmental efforts to get more men involved with their families. And even without prompting, modern men have taken a greater interest in fatherhood, spending more time than ever before with their children and helping around the house, putting in their own "second shifts."
This article was a welcome chance to shed light on how the cultural constructs of fatherhood developed as well as the ways that fatherhood impacts families -- and the men themselves. In that way, giving proper due to dads can only improve prospects for healthier, happier families, and it's high time that we understand the difference that they make.
- 10 Famous Fathers
- Top 5 Countries for New Fathers
- The Modern Dad: A 21st Century Fatherhood Quiz
- How Men Work
- Are family traditions important?
- Are working mothers happier?
- Who were Batman's parents?
- Do new fathers have lower testosterone than single men?
- Abrams, Douglas Carlton. "The Making of a Modern Dad." Psychology Today. March 01, 2002. (March 30, 2012) http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200203/the-making-modern-dad
- American Psychological Association. "The Changing Role of the Modern Day Father." (March 29, 2012) http://www.apa.org/pi/families/resources/changing-father.aspx
- Belkin, Lisa. "When Mom and Dad Share It All." The New York Times. June 15, 2008. (March 15, 2012) http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/15/magazine/15parenting-t.html?_r=2&pagewanted=all
- Bennhold, Katrin. "In Sweden, Men Can Have It All." The New York Times. June 09, 2010. (March 29, 2012) http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/10/world/europe/10iht-sweden.html?pagewanted=all
- Bryner, Jeanna. "Children Raised by Lesbians Do Just Fine, Studies Show." LiveScience. Feb. 08, 2010. (March 29, 2012) http://www.livescience.com/6073-children-raised-lesbians-fine-studies-show.html
- Bureau of Labor Statistics. "Employment Characteristics of Families Summary." March 24, 2011. (March 29, 2012) http://www.bls.gov/news.release/famee.nr0.htm
- Conger, Cristen. "Does a Parent's Gender Impact a Child's Success?" Discovery News. Jan. 28, 2010. (March 29, 2012) http://news.discovery.com/human/parents-gender-children.html
- Cooney, Elizabeth. "Go, daddy." Boston Globe. June 14, 2010. (March 29, 2012) http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/family/articles/2010/06/14/peter_gray_plumbs_the_evolutionary_history_of_fatherhood/
- Cullen, Lisa Takeuchi and Grossman, Lev. "Fatherhood 2.0." TIME. Oct. 04, 2007. (March 29, 2012) http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1668449,00.html
- Gettler, Lee T. "Longitudinal evidence that fatherhood decreases testosterone in human males." PNAS. Sept. 27, 2011. (March 15, 2012) http://groups.anthropology.northwestern.edu/lhbr/kuzawa_web_files/pdfs/Gettler%20et%20al%20PNAS%202011.pdf
- Goldman, Bruce. "Stanford urologist finds childless men more at risk of death from cardiovascular disease." Stanford School of Medicine. Sept. 26, 2011. (March 30, 2012) http://med.stanford.edu/ism/2011/september/eisenberg.html
- Gray, Peter B. and Anderson, Kermyt. "Fatherhood: Evolution and Human Paternal Behavior." Harvard University Press. 2010. (March 30, 2012) http://books.google.com/books?id=Yz_JkWGbMaQC&dq=fatherhood+physiology&source=gbs_navlinks_s
- Harrington, Brad; van Deusen, Fred; and Humberd, Beth. "The New Dad: Caring, Committed and Conflicted." Boston College Center for Work & Family. 2011. (March 29, 2012) http://www.bc.edu/content/dam/files/centers/cwf/pdf/FH-Study-Web-2.pdf
- Hewlett, Barry S. "Culture, History, and Sex: Anthropological Contributions to Conceptualizing Father Involvement." The Haworth Press, Inc. 2000. (March 29, 2012) http://anthro.vancouver.wsu.edu/media/PDF/CultureHistory_and_Sex.pdf
- Kimmel, Michael. "Has the New Dad finally arrived?" The Guardian. June 24, 2009. (March 29, 2012) http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/jun/24/fathers-share-parenthood-children
- Konigsberg, Ruth Davis. "Chore Wars." TIME. Aug. 08, 2011. (March 29, 2012) http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2084582,00.html
- LaRossa, Ralph. "The Modernization of Fatherhood: a social and political history." University of Chicago Press. 1997. (March 29, 2012) http://books.google.com/books/about/The_modernization_of_fatherhood.html?id=hITzjDHziCgC
- Lovekin, Kris. "When dads clean house, it pays off big time." University of California – Riverside. EurekAlert! June 10, 2003. (March 29, 2012) http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2003-06/uoc--wdc061003.php
- Mantell, Ruth. "Figuring Out a 'Fair' Division of Labor at Home." The Wall Street Journal. Feb. 19, 2010. (March 29, 2012) http://blogs.wsj.com/juggle/2010/02/19/figuring-out-a-fair-division-of-labor-at-home/
- Martin, Wednesday. "The Dad Effect: How Having Children Changes Men." Psychology Today. June 17, 2010. (March 29, 2012) http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/stepmonster/201006/the-dad-effect-how-having-children-changes-men
- Mintz, Steven. "Mothers and Fathers in America: Looking Backward, Looking Forward." (March 29, 2012) http://www.digitalhistory.uh.edu/historyonline/mothersfathers.cfm
- National Center for Fathering. "The Extent of Fatherlessness." (March 29, 2012) http://www.fathers.com/content/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=336
- Nippoldt, Todd B. "Couvade syndrome: Is sympathetic pregnancy real?" Mayo Clinic. (March 30, 2012) http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/couvade-syndrome/AN02137
- Pincott, Jean. "The Science of the Pregnant Man." The Wall Street Journal. Oct. 15, 2011. (March 30, 2012) http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203476804576614901064779300.html
- Randall, Kay. "Honey, I'm Home." University of Texas at Austin. Jan. 07, 2008. (March 29, 2012) http://www.utexas.edu/features/2008/fathers/
- Sarkadi, Anna et al. "Fathers' involvement and children's developmental outcomes: a systematic review of longitudinal studies." Acta Paediatrica. February 2008. (March 29, 2012) http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1651-2227.2007.00572.x/abstract;jsessionid=DF396A687209C72028A6C4A10DA12552.d01t03
- Scott, Pam. "Father's Day Turns 100 Years Old." Spokane Regional Convention & Visitor Bureau. Jan 27, 2010. (March 29, 2012) http://fathersdaybirthplace.com/includes/media/documents/FathersDayPressRelease_srcvb0110.pdf
- Shafer, Elizabeth Fitzgibbons and Malhotra, Neil. "The Effect of a Child's Sex on Support for Traditional Gender Roles." Social Forces. December 2011. (March 30, 2012) http://socialforces.unc.edu/content/90/1/209.abstract
- Solomon, Sondra E.; Rothblum, Esther D.; and Balsam, Kimberly F. "Money, Housework, Sex, and Conflict: Same-Sex Couples in Civil Unions, Those Not in Civil Unions, and Heterosexual Married Siblings." Sex Roles. May 2005. (March 29, 2012) http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/~rothblum/doc_pdf/sexual_orientation/MoneyHouseworkSexConflict.pdf
- Spencer, Kyle. "What's New at the PTA, Dad?" The New York Times. Feb. 17, 2012. (March 29, 2012) http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/19/fashion/fathers-Shift-the-Dynamics-of-the-PTA.html?_r=4&pagewanted=1&partner=rss&emc=rss
- Wade, Lisa. "Jay-Z's Newfound Feminist Fatherhood." Sociological Images. Jan. 30, 2012. (March 30, 2012) http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/2012/01/30/jay-zs-new-found-feminist-fatherhood/
- Winsler, Adam; Madigan, Amy L.; and Aquilino. "Correspondence between maternal and paternal parenting styles in early childhood." Early Childhood Research Quarterly. 2005. (March 29, 2012) http://winslerlab.gmu.edu/pubs/WinslerMadiganAquilino2005.pdf