Wacky Halloween Ornaments
Glass ball ornaments aren't just for Christmas anymore! Use them to create a variety of fun decorations for Halloween.
These fun ornaments will
liven up your Halloween.
What You'll Need
- 3-inch glass ball ornaments
- Acrylic paint: black, white, green, tan
- Craft foam, assorted colors
- Hot glue gun, glue sticks
- Fabric paint: black, yellow
- Accessories: yarn, craft wire, feathers
- Remove top and hanger from ornaments. Drizzle paint inside each ornament (see specific ornament directions for color instructions). Roll ornaments around to completely coat insides; add more paint if needed. Let ornaments stand for 3 or 4 days, until paint is completely dry.
Roll the ornament until the inside is completely coated with the paint.
- Paint eyes, mouth, teeth, and other features on outside of ornament. Place ornament on cup to dry.
- Cut out shapes from craft foam. Glue these and other items to add features. Some examples are given below, but create your own monster or ghoul!
Bat: Paint inside black. Paint face. Cut 2 wings from black craft foam. Add accents to the wings using black fabric paint. Hot glue wings in place.
Glue on the wings to complete the wacky bat ornament.
Witch: Paint inside green. Cut nose from green craft foam, gently fold down center, and glue in place. Use black fabric paint to make mole on nose. Paint face. Cut witch's hat and brim from black craft foam, and glue together. Cut 6-inch pieces of black yarn for hair, and glue in place. Glue hat to witch's head.
After gluing on the wizard's hair, glue on its hat.
Wizard: Paint inside tan. Paint face. Cut wizard's hat from blue craft foam, paint yellow stars on hat using yellow fabric paint. Glue hat together. Cut 6-inch pieces of white or gray yarn, and glue in place for hair. Glue hat on wizard's head. Shape glasses from a 6-inch piece of silver craft wire. Glue glasses to head.
Use the brown craft foam to make a pirate's hat.
Pirate: Paint inside tan. Paint face (only paint 1 eye), adding dots of stubble. Cut three 4 x 11/2-inch rectangles from brown craft foam for pirate's hat. Scallop top edge of rectangles. Glue ends together to form hat, and glue on feather. Glue hat to pirate's head. Cut out black eye patch, and glue on.
Display your ornaments on a Halloween tree, place them in a bowl for a centerpiece, or hang them anywhere -- use your imagination.
Next, learn how to make a glittery Halloween door charm to welcome trick-or-treaters or other Halloween visitors.
Want to scare up more fun Halloween ideas? Try these:
- Halloween Crafts: Not done being creative? These are great do-it-yourself projects for Halloween, from trick-or-treat boxes to candy jewelry.
- Kids' Halloween Costumes: Try on our unique costume ideas for your ghosts and goblins.
- Halloween Masks: Want an easy way to dress up for Halloween? Try a mask instead of a costume. Check out our selection of monstrous masks.
- Halloween Games: Play more than 20 spooktacular games to entertain kids and adults alike.
- Halloween Recipes: Learn how to make dozens of bewitching Halloween treats.
- How Halloween Works: Traces the popular holiday’s Celtic roots to American traditions celebrated today.
- Pumpkin Carving Patterns: What's Halloween without pumpkin carving? Check out these great pumpkin carving patterns.