This floral jack-o'-lantern will delight the hearts of young and old and can make Halloween cheer a part of any household.
Festively floral, this jack-o'-lantern has
a hat that puts real pumpkins to shame.
- 7-inch terra cotta jack-o'-lantern or 7-inch terra cotta container
- Black acrylic paint (optional)
- Paintbrush (optional)
- 3x5-inch piece dry foam
- Hot glue gun
- Glue sticks
- Handful Spanish moss
- Greening pins
- 9 pieces dried rust-colored wheat
- 3 stems dried dock
- 3 stems dried strawflowers
- 1 twig dried bronze canella
- 2 stems preserved brown oak leaves
- 1 stem dried love grass
- 1 stem dried protea green
- 4 strings peach raffia ribbon
- Florist wire
- If using a plain terra cotta container, paint a jack-o'-lantern face on the outside with black acrylic paint. Let dry.
- Glue the dry foam to the inverted hat of the jack-o'-lantern. Set the inverted hat on top of the pumpkin head, and moss lightly. Secure the moss with greening pins. Cut the rust-colored wheat in half, and insert each half horizontally into the sides of the foam.
Work from the bottom to create the jack-o'-lantern's jaunty floral cap.
- Place the dock vertically in the center of the arrangement. Add the strawflowers from the base of the hat and work upward. Place the bronze canella in the lower right corner, allowing it to cascade downward. Fill in with brown oak leaves, love grass, and protea green as desired.
- Make a bow from the raffia, and attach it to the right side of the jack-o'-lantern with wire.
Ta-da! Wrap that raffia into a bow,
and your floral jack-o'-lantern is a tremendous success.
This next Halloween decoration is one for the whole family. Have the kids gather 'round to help create Junior and his Mummy! Click to the next page to find out what to do.
Want to scare up more fun Halloween ideas? Try these:
- Halloween Crafts: Not done being creative? These are great do-it-yourself projects for Halloween, from trick-or-treat boxes to candy jewelry.
- Kids' Halloween Costumes: Try on our unique costume ideas for your ghosts and goblins.
- Halloween Masks: Want an easy way to dress up for Halloween? Try a mask instead of a costume. Check out our selection of monstrous masks.
- Halloween Games: Play more than 20 spooktacular games to entertain kids and adults alike.
- Halloween Recipes: Learn how to make dozens of bewitching Halloween treats.
- How Halloween Works: Traces the popular holiday’s Celtic roots to American traditions celebrated today.
- Pumpkin Carving Patterns: What's Halloween without pumpkin carving? Check out these great pumpkin carving patterns.