ordinary paint can into a Halloween decoration.
Make this tricks or treats can
to store Halloween goodies.
What You'll Need
- 1-gallon empty paint can
- Black spray paint
- Textured cardstock: tangerine, purple
- Paper trimmer
- Black inkpad
- Craft glue
- Striped patterned paper
- Foam letter stamps
- White paint
- Foam brush
- Black-and-white polka-dot ribbon: 1/8 inch wide, 7/8 inch wide
- Black fabric-covered thin wire
- Clear adhesive
- 3 Halloween charms
- Halloween labels
- Paint can opener
- In a
well-ventilated area, spray top of can lid. Let dry 30 minutes, and repeat. Let
lid dry overnight.
tangerine cardstock, cut a 31/8 x 12-inch and a 31/8 x 85/8-inch strip. From purple
cardstock, cut a 41/4 x 12-inch and a 41/4 x 85/8-inch strip. Ink edges of
cardstock using inkpad.
12-inch tangerine strip around top of can, with equal lengths going past knobs
of handles. Mark where knobs are on paper, and cut out. Glue strip to top of
can. Glue 85/8-inch tangerine strip to back of can, matching seams. Glue purple
strips to cover bottom of can.
On the tangerine paper, mark where the knobs of the can's handles are.
- Tear left
side of striped pattern paper to create a sloping shape, leaving bottom and
left edges straight. Make another shape, tearing from right edge of paper. Glue
first shape to purple cardstock, placing side edge below left handle knob and
bottom edge at can bottom. Place second shape so straight edge abuts straight
edge of other shape and bottom edge is at can bottom.
- Use foam
letter stamps to spell "Trick or Treat" and "Boo" around
can. Use foam brush to put white paint on letters. Dab excess paint off letters
before stamping; don't worry about letters being perfect. This creates a
- Cut four
4-inch lengths from 1/8-inch ribbon. Tie 2 lengths
to each side of handle. Measure and cut 27 inches of 7/8-inch ribbon. Wrap
ribbon around can, covering seam between tangerine and purple papers. Tie a
knot at front of can. Trim ribbon ends. Tie fabric-covered wire around ribbon
knot, and curl ends. Place a dot of clear adhesive behind knot.
- Glue 2
charms and labels to front of can. From each of 3 papers, tear a small piece,
about 2 x 2 inches each. Glue these to lid of can. Measure and cut a 53/8-inch
length of 7/8-inch ribbon. Glue ribbon lengthwise across middle of lid. Glue
last charm to ribbon.
- Cut 14-inch length of 7/8-inch ribbon. Tie can opener to handle with ribbon.
Your festive tricks or treats can is ready to fill with tempting Halloween goodies. If you're planning a big Halloween fright fest, make several cans to hold enough treats for the crowd. For more thrills, make a slinky snake to wrap around your treats can. Learn how to make this slithering Halloween decoration on the next page.
Want to scare up more fun Halloween ideas? Try these:
- Halloween Crafts: Not done being creative? These are great do-it-yourself projects for Halloween, from trick-or-treat boxes to candy jewelry.
- Kids' Halloween Costumes: Try on our unique costume ideas for your ghosts and goblins.
- Halloween Masks: Want an easy way to dress up for Halloween? Try a mask instead of a costume. Check out our selection of monstrous masks.
- Halloween Games: Play more than 20 spooktacular games to entertain kids and adults alike.
- Halloween Recipes: Learn how to make dozens of bewitching Halloween treats.
- How Halloween Works: Traces the popular holiday’s Celtic roots to American traditions celebrated today.
- Pumpkin Carving Patterns: What's Halloween without pumpkin carving? Check out these great pumpkin carving patterns.