Author's Note: Top 10 American Political Dynasties
As much as America adheres to a no-royalty policy, it's mighty interesting to notice just how much power has tended to run in families (not to mention the stateside excitement with William and Kate's royal wedding, but that's another article). From the get-go in the United States, politics has been treated like another business enterprise in many ways, and from that perspective it makes sense that certain families would take to it and build their empires. Just as the retail industry has the Walton family, for instance, Republican politics has the Bush family. Political dynasties also tend to follow common patterns of staking out a geographical area (Massachusetts for the Kennedys; New York for the Cuomos) and concentrating influence to lay a foundation to seek out the pivotal roles -- i.e., governorships, Senate seats -- that often pave the way to the White House.
Also, there are some family names that have been left off the list. That's right; the U.S. has so many political dynasties to choose from, you can't boil them all down to a 10-point list.
Lots More Information
- How the U.S. President Works
- How the U.S. Vice President Works
- How do I get a job in the White House?
- Who Said It: Bush or Obama?
- Top 10 Pioneering Female Politicians
- 10 Political Scandals
- Top 10 Most Successful Third-party Presidential Candidates
- Alexander, David. "U.S. political dynasties self-perpetuating: study." Reuters. March 03, 2007. (Aug. 01, 2013) http://www.reuters.com/article/2007/03/04/us-usa-politics-dynasties-idUSN0332238720070304
- Ball, Molly. "George P. Bush: A Political Dynasty's Young Hope." The Atlantic. July 10, 2012. (Aug. 01, 2013) http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2012/07/george-p-bush-a-political-dynastys-young-hope/259640/
- Beschloss, Michael and Sidey, Hugh. "Benjamin Harrison." The White House. 2009. (Aug. 01, 2013) http://www.whitehouse.gov/about/presidents/benjaminharrison
- Beschloss, Michael and Sidey, Hugh. "George H.W. Bush." The White House. 2009. (Aug. 01, 2013) http://www.whitehouse.gov/about/presidents/georgehwbush
- Beschloss, Michael and Sidey, Hugh. "William H. Taft." The White House. 2009. (Aug. 01, 2013) http://www.whitehouse.gov/about/presidents/williamhowardtaft
- Brown, Emma. "Peter H.B. Frelinghuysen Jr., former N.J. congressman, dies at 95." The Washington Post. May 24, 2011. (Aug. 01, 2013) http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/peter-hb-frelinghuysen-jr-former-nj-congressman-dies-at-95/2011/05/24/AFEISgAH_story.html
- Cole, Wendy. "Bob Taft." TIME. Nov. 13, 2005. (Aug. 01, 2013) http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1129553,00.html
- Hartmann, Margaret. "Mario Cuomo Still Thinks His Son Should Be President." New York. July 09, 2012. (Aug. 01, 2013) http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2012/07/mario-cuomo-thinks-his-son-should-be-president.html
- Hess, Stephen. "America's Top Dynasty." The Washington Post. Sept. 13, 2009. (Aug. 01, 2013) http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/11/AR2009091101831.html
- Kiely, Kathy. "Elections test power of political dynasties." USA Today. Aug. 03, 2010. (Aug. 01, 2013) http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/2010-08-03-1Adynasties03_CV_N.htm
- Kitchin, Jessica. "Like Father, Like Son, And Son, And Son..." New Jersey Monthly. Nov. 10, 2009. (Aug. 01, 2013) http://njmonthly.com/articles/lifestyle/people/like-father-like-son-and-son-and-son.html
- Miller, Justin. "Roosevelt, Nixon, and Bush: American Like Political Dynasties." The Atlantic. July 24, 2010. (Aug. 01, 2013) http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2010/07/roosevelt-nixon-and-bush-americans-like-political-dynasties/60356/
- MSNBC. "A look at Chicago's royal political family." (Aug. 01, 2013) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41671505/ns/politics/t/look-chicagos-royal-political-family/#.UBmDAqCrh8F
- PBS. "People & Events: Nelson A. Rockefeller, 1908 – 1979." American Experience. (Aug. 01, 2013) http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/rockefellers/peopleevents/p_rock_n.html
- Reiss, Dawn. "Chicago and the Legacy of the Daley Dynasty." TIME. Sept. 09, 2010. (Aug. 01, 2013) http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2016992,00.html
- Reuters. "Factbox: Kennedy political dynasty marked by tragedy." Aug. 28, 2009. (Aug. 01, 2013) http://www.reuters.com/article/2009/08/28/us-kennedy-tragedies-sb-idUSTRE57P0QR20090828
- Romano, Lois. "Death of Edward 'Ted' Kennedy Raises Questions About Political Dynasties." The Washington Post. Aug. 27, 2009. (Aug. 01, 2013) http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/08/26/AR2009082603664.html
- Shesol, Jeff. "Adams Family Value." The New York Times. Feb. 24, 2002. (Aug. 01, 2013) http://www.nytimes.com/2002/02/24/books/adams-family-value.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm
- United States Senate. "Longest Serving Senators." April 23, 2012. (Aug. 01, 2013) http://www.senate.gov/senators/Biographical/longest_serving.htm
- United States Senate. "Robert A. Taft. More than "Mr. Republican."" (Aug. 01, 2013) http://www.senate.gov/artandhistory/history/common/generic/People_Leaders_Taft.htm